Import points with " symbol (that would be the inch symbol)

wrmurphy81

I am trying to import some points from a tree survey and C3D wont bring in the " symbol or the text after that. i.e. 12" PINE comes in as 12. Is there a setting I can change or some kind of work around? I have 1200+ trees... Thanks!

Edited by wrmurphy81

Can you elaborate a little more is the 12 coming in as text or as part of the code like T12, you should be able to make your a 12" tree block have the 12" as displayable. That matches a code.

How are you bringing the points in.

I am importing a PNEZD csv file. The description in the text file is simply 12" PINE or 30" MAPLE, etc... I don't have any blocks for trees, unless they came with civil 3d. Does c3d have some great way to do this?

AFAIK and have experienced, you can't import "" as part of the description. It will cut off at the quote. (eg. 12" OAK would come into C3D as 12)

2nd go at this hit the wrong key on keyboard and all lost

part 1 remove " remove "+space make the code 12pine this will work

part 2 make a library that recoginises a12pine and places a 12" pine tree block at the point (library = styles)

part 3 contact your dealer re library or consult "Help" maybe replace 12pine with pine12 there is some smarts can be done with codes I leave that to our surveyors i have read about in the help, once you get an example you can copy and edit existing codes.

part 4 creating the library is pain (excell in & out where is it) old software read and write a text file

part 5 search here there was post recentlty about where to get landscaping blocks.

Part 6 keep posting here lots of help will talk to our guys how we do trees.

part 7 Trunk and spread any one out there want to comment.

Thanks, BIGAL. I already sent the deliverable with just "12 PINE" and no " symbol. I will try what you said and see if I have any luck. Give me a few days and I will report back, either way. I am going to try and avoid my dealer because I hate relying on others, this forum has made it possible because my dealer isn't the greatest resource (we spent a ton of money (many of thousands) on training and NOTHING came from it). Thanks again for the help!

Just had a look at one of our tree codes "point styles" and it has the point marker type set to "Autocad Block" obviously it must be in the drawing and you scale it accordingly by code.

Did you create blocks for your trees ?

Did your dealer set you up a DWT to suit your type of work if not ask here as setting up all the styles can be quite time consuming also they vary to suit location in the world.