problem with iges assembly file

franciDK

Hi to everyone,

I'm a student and I have only academic licence both for ansys and solidworks so I can't use all the extension to export a file from SW to Ansys.

I have a SW assembly file containing something like "cilindric/conic bodies" connected with flanges.

I tried to export this SW file in an iges file to use it in Ansys.

Everything seems to work well in SW (no corruptions etc) but when I import the iges file in Ansys all the pieces are not placed in the correct way. (see the attecched image)

I also saved the coordinate system into the iges file, but it still doesn't work.

Could anyone help me in some way?

Thanksansys1.jpg in advance.

ansys2.jpg

it looks as though your parts in the SW file are fixed rather than being related to the other parts. My guess is that your coordinate system for each part(actually sub assemblies in your file) are referenced when opened in ansys. What i mean is that you are not exporting a single part but rather several parts into a file so all their origins are being "aligned".

Out of curiosity, why do you need to export to ansys? SW student version has the full simulation packages and is VERY powerful!

If you have the student version or have the full simulation package yes. SW is able to do many things including fluid flow with thermal as well as Finite element on things like carbon fiber structures with aluminum cores and so on. Its really powerful so unless there was a specific need for ansys(which is very powerful as well) i would keep it in SW.

Do you mean that I can solve the complete fem analysis in SW?

Go to Tools>Add-ins and load the full Simulation tools - otherwise you will only get the limited Express toolset.

Simulation.png