Deleting layer even though it has something on it...

SenseAO

I feel like this is the go to site for cad help, so ill probably be making a ton of posts in the next little while. haha

How would i go about deleting a Layer even though it has something on it? I dont care what it is, i just want to get it erased.

Ive tried turning off all the layers except this one but nothing shows up. The drawing is too extensive to go line by line.

Or if you have a solution to finding out what exactly is under that layer, that would probably be of better help.

TIA.

The LAYDEL command will delete any layer, except Layer 0, regardless of whether it has something on it or not.

You can use the QSELECT command to select entities on a specific layer.

The LAYWALK command is another one you might be interested in.

Thx for the reply back cad64.

Ive tried all 3 of ur methods with no success.

Is it possible that something on that specific layer is attached to another one somehow?

:? Really? LAYDEL should have deleted the layer, no matter what's on it. Even if the layer is inside a block, it would have given you a warning but it still would have deleted it if you said OK. Can you post the drawing?

LAYDEL is a last resort. Make absolutely sure there is nothing you need on that layer before you use LAYDEL, because once it's gone, it's gone.

QSELECT will let you select, and then erase, everything on the layer. You should then use PURGE to actually remove the layer. That's the approved method. PURGE won't work if there's still something on the layer or referencing the layer.

SenseAO, as a new member, you are not allowed to post links. Click the "Go Advanced" button below to get to the advanced editor, then scroll down and click the "Manage Attachments" button. This will allow you to upload images or files to the forum.

But what I was asking for was your actual drawing file, not images. I need to see your .dwg so I can determine why QSELECT, LAYWALK and LAYDEL are not working. I can't do that from an image.

Having the odd five minutes spare, I had a look, and in Layout1, the viewport is drawn on that layer.

So you should change the viewport to another layer, so you don't lose the information, and then purge can be used.

Laydel did work for me, so I wonder how you are using it :shock: