Need help on modeling this, I'm new at 3DsMax

Akatszuki

He guys, I'm new at 3dsmax and I need some help on modeling this thing .

The first pic shows u how smooth it is and i want to know how to make it looks like that ?

What I've done so far is showed at the pic number 2 . That cylinder and the box are still 2 different compound, I really need help on these ASAP . >

Please tell me how to make it looks like in the pic 1, steps by steps if u will . >

doco.jpg

as.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Akatszuki

• Cad64

Hi Akatszuki, and welcome to the forum. :)

Unfortunately, I'm at work now, so I can't walk you through the procedure, but I will try to put together a tutorial later tonight.

and i think i need to use turbosmooth, as part of the assignment . >

So this is a school assignment? :unsure:

Have you tried working on this yourself at all since this morning?

I'll give you a hint. You have to combine the two objects together into one object before you can smooth the transition.

Give it a try and see if you can work it out.

Yeah, I tried the whole day . ): I used probolean, they became one, but when i use turbosmooth, are all messed up .. I really need help ..

Can u help me with the tutorial ? ): I really need one . ): I'm so bad at 3DsMax . T^T

It's not a school assignment, it's an assignment made by me, because I like the phone so much . >

Ok, but I'm not going to create a full blown tutorial on how to model the entire phone. That would take a lot of effort. but I will show you how to create the piece that you asked about. I'll put together the tutorial when I get home tonight.

Ok, but I'm not going to create a full blown tutorial on how to model the entire phone. That would take a lot of effort. but I will show you how to create the piece that you asked about. I'll put together the tutorial when I get home tonight.

I know . >w

and one more question . > for example, i want to make the height of the cylinder is perfectly similiar to the height of a box .

Ty for ur time ! and sorry for the troubles ! m(_ _)m .. I owe u one !! ^^

Sorry, I started to put together the tutorial and then realized it was going to take a couple of hours to do it right, so I stopped. There are just too many things that you need to learn, and I just don't have the time to teach you everything you need to know. You need to get yourself a book, or a training DVD so you can learn all the basics, then come here to ask questions when you get stuck. It will be very time consuming and difficult for me to try and teach you everything here in the forum.

To answer your last question about making objects the same size, just type in the dimensions you want your objects to conform to in the Parameters rollout. If you want to create a cylinder that has a radius of 4" and is 9" tall, just draw out the cylinder and then type in those amounts. See below.

Untitled-1.jpg

Can u help me pls ? ): I really do need some help . ): some simple tutorial would be fine . ):

p.s: maybe u can try tell me what tools and what to do ? I might know some ? ):

To be honest, if I was going to make that part, I would draw a 2D profile in Autocad, import it to Studio Max and Extrude it. That's the easiest way.

So, in 3dsmax, we using line tool, am I correct ? ):

Edited by Akatszuki

If using objects ?

Objects? :unsure:

What do you mean? Like a box, cylinder, etc.?

Yes, you could construct the shape with those, but it will require a lot more work joining them together cleanly. That's why I stopped on the tutorial, because it was just going to get too involved. Instructions like that are best done with video where you can just watch it being done. It's difficult to explain with just words, and creating screenshots for everything can become quite tiresome.

Try drawing the shape with lines and then extrude it and see how it goes.

Ic ic, ty so much dude for ur precious time . >

If with objects, I got an idea, how bout using proboolean ? but I'll decrease the Cylinder's segments to 4 so when it goes to turbosmooth, it won't looks weird, but it still haven't resolved the problem, how to make into that shape . :/

You can boolean or proboolean objects together, but you have to be careful and try to match up the geometry of the two objects as closely as possible before performing the boolean operation, otherwise your model can become a big mess of random lines and vertices that you will have to manually clean up. For that reason, I only boolean when I absolutely have to.