3D Scanning/mapping advice

Ste1978

I have been asked to produce a 3D drawing of a pipe network, which I can do but it would involve a lot of time walking around the plant with a tape measure! I have heard that is is possible to use 3D Scanning or mapping technology to produce a detailed overview of the pipe networks, which can then be converted to CAD. Is this technology actually possible at this time and how does it work. Any links, advice welcome.

Yes it is possible. Pricing will vary with the level of detail required and the complexity of the job. No two jobs would price out the same.

It all depends on how much you value your time. The technology is up and running and a Google search would tell you a lot.

Laser scanning equipment scans and stores a point cloud of information. Then you have to have point cloud software which then produces the drawing.

Remember that it is like a camera, it only surveys what it can see, so it might need several set-ups to see everything and then it might miss something.

Different techniques but with similar results.

Photogrammetry depends on a stereoscopic pair of photographs taken to include control points, so that distances can be measured.

Laser scanning uses the laser to measure the distance, so useful information can be gathered from one set-up, and seemed to me to be what the OP was after.

I am familiar with scanning techniques. I've even seen a demo of a full size car being scanned using a portable device but a piping network is a whole other beast.

I am familiar with scanning techniques. I've even seen a demo of a full size car being scanned using a portable device but a piping network is a whole other beast.

It is being done regularly.

This company does such work.

Sorry for the advertising, but you started it :D