text height and dimensioning scale

mrfitzgerald

Hi All hope someone can help or point me in the right direction. I've just started a new job and am going to be using Autocad 2010.

When I've created a drawing and come to adding text what text height should I be specifying or how do I work out correct text height to use?

If I've created for example a layout at 1:100 scale and details at 1:10 scale using different viewports in paper space should I be creating different text heights or is using annotaive text the best option?

Also what text height should I set-up for dimensioning to make sure all text heights are the same for the 1:100 layout and 1:10 details?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

The size of your dimension text is between you, your company, and your clients, but generally it will be somewhere between 3/32" and 3/16" when printed. I personally like to place my dimension while working in the scaled viewport, and let AutoCAD automatically scale the dimension relative to the viewport scale so it will aways print the size I specify without ever having to set or change dimension scales. You'll probably get different advice from others, so I recommend you try each method and print them out so see which suites you best.

Here's a related topic that pretty much covers all the different options. I posted a screenshot of the method I use in post #32 http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?52578-Why-Use-Paper-Space&p=356782#post356782

New users of AutoCAD are encouraged to use Annotative Scaling. This will ensure that no matter what scale is assigned to what viewport in your layout that all the text will be the same height when viewed in the layout and when printed. It means you'll have to deal with scalelists. A piece of text and/or a dimension may have more than one scale assigned to it.

I wouldn´t use annotative texts, cause the texts might go through the drawings. I would suggest making a text style for 1:100 and one for 1:10. Than you can directly see how things will be in the end.

Never trust a pc

I wouldn´t use annotative texts, cause the texts might go through the drawings. I would suggest making a text style for 1:100 and one for 1:10. Than you can directly see how things will be in the end.

Never trust a pc

Why would you say that? The reason AutoDesk added Annotative objects was to avoid just what you are suggesting.

KC

Why would you say that? The reason AutoDesk added Annotative objects was to avoid just what you are suggesting.

KC

I can understand what they tried. For me it is not working that well. I am working in civil engineering and when I use annotative texts for different scales it always goes through lines. That doesnt make the text readable. That is why I dont like using annotative objects.