Unknown lines appearing in CAD Drawing

Hi all,

Please help. I am a draftsman using AutoCAD 2010 to create 2D plans, eleveations etc. I recently received this file from a Land Surveyor. I usually use this information to develop my Site Plan.

However this file has an enormous amount of 'mystery' lines that I can't seem to select or remove.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mystery Lines.dwg

Just checked my link and it would appear that the lines have disappeared in the model space but still appear in the Layout 1 Viewport (Zoom right out to see what I mean).

The lines that you see in the viewport actually appear in the model space for me as well??

This has really got me lost.

While in paper space and in the layout and in layer '0' first go zoom all then you could try turning layer BUILD off then "erase" enter "all" enter "R" enter (box the whole drawing) enter

This should get rid off all the lines but keep your drawing!!!

Hope this helps

Thank you for you r help.

Unfortunately by deleting information in that particular layer I'm losing building outlines that I do wish keep. It would appear that each required building line has a number of unwanted lines directly attached to it. Very strange.

Also, when you UNDO the erase command you suggested, only the required lines appear back on my screen. This would be perfect except the unwanted lines still appear when you plot the drawing?

Could this be a bug in the file? I've certainly never come accross this sort of thing.

Thank you for your help.

Couldn't get to the source of the issue but it seemed to resolve the issue by changing all of the offending items into a different layer.

Very, very weird!

Thanks again

To even open the drawing, I had to convert it to 2007 format. I see the lines only when layer STR_AREA is visible, and I have to regenerate to get them to appear or disappear. They look like cutoff lines, that is, the W shapes that indicate some feature continues past a point. I'm guessing they have something to do with annotation; that might explain why they're so large.

Do you see something similar? Does it help to turn off layer STR_AREA?

It seems that the layer FENCE1 has a custom linetype, or at least it is not in the default list... The problem is with the linetype, not the layer. Good tyo hear you worked around the issue, but im confident that using the acad fence linetype (if neccessary) will be the end all to this issue. Good luck

That's the craziest thing I've ever run across. Looking at it in 2010, those lines are not there in model space, but show up when i flip to the layout tab. Flip back, they go. I went in and turned on all those layers that were turned off, then thawed all the frozen layers and the lines disappeared in both windows. So, I closed the drawing, reopened it fresh and saved it to my hard drive. Closed it again, started a new drawing using the generic acad.dwt that comes with a new installation, and inserted your drawing as an exploded block. Lines did not come with it. Don't know what that had to do with it, but it seemed to fix it. You might try that. I also purged it just out of habit and reduced the file size from 235k to 179k.

Im running 2011. The lines were showing up in MS. If i zoom extents and regen, the lines would disappear. If i zoom in and regen, the lines would come back. Quite the oddity. im still convinced its a linetype issue

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner!

Don't know why this has happened but try this.

1. Display layer BDRY only

2. make a new layer and make it the current layer (now you will have your new layer and BDRY layer on)

3. make a line in your new layer

4. box select 'match properties' to get all the BDRY layer lines into your new layer

I did this and it worked

Hope this helps

If you look closely...those crazy lines look like break line symbols. Apples, I'm curious. Do you know if the the person that created this drawing happened to create a linetype using break line symbols? I looked through the linetypes but couldn't really tell. As JPlanera noted, it does seem to be related to linetypes. Using his suggestion that it was a linetype issue, I started playing around with "ltscale". I noticed it was set at 1000, so i reset it to 500 and they vanished. Ok, undo brought them back so I tried 750. They got smaller, so I tried 700. Vanished. Undo brought them back. So, just out of curiosity, I started trying going down one unit at a time till they vanished. At an ltscale of 748, they were still there, though much smaller than originally. At 747, they vanish. Find and fix that linetype and I think your problems will go away.