Help getting the right scale from Model Space to Paper Space

Susan-Skye

I'm just learning the differences between model space and paper space, and I'm having trouble drawing something in model space that has the same scale as the template I set up in paperspace.

I set up a dwt with my border and title block, used it to open a new drawing, and started drawing in model space like I'm supposed to.

But now, even though the paper size is supposed to be the same for both drawings (I checked this in Page Setup Manager), my drawing is huge in model space and

not nearly as big as it needs to be when I view it in paper space with my template around it.

How can I get the scale of the drawing to be the same and plot preview the same in both model space and paper space?

Does it have something to do with viewports?

Viewports are the key to paperspace's success.

Try drawing everything in modelspace to full size (whatever that may be). Then from paperspace, insert your title block, and use the ._mview command (or others as appropriate) to draw a viewport within your title block... it will probably take on an initial view of 'zoom extents' for the modelspace contents. Then double click within the viewport, this activates your viewport (using the ._mspace command) automatically. Pan, scroll, and/or zoom toward your detail as needed just to get it oriented within your viewport. Now using one of many methods, change the scale of the viewport itself:

Example, where I changed the scale to 1:40 (I input the red):

Command: [color=red]z[/color]
ZOOM
Specify corner of window, enter a scale factor (nX or nXP), or
[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] <real time>: [color=red]s[/color]

Enter a scale factor (nX or nXP): [color=red]1/40xp[/color]
Regenerating model.

Now use the ._pspace command, and you're all set. Be sure to display lock your viewports, so you don't have to do that again. Also, you can use the ._chspace command to quickly swap objects back and forth from paperspace to modelspace.

Hope this helps!

You're welcome. :)

how do I display-lock my viewports?

Simple... with your properties pane open (Ctrl+1), select your viewport, and in the properties pane under Misc. change the 'Display locked' property to 'Yes'.

Edit: Now, you can zoom in/out without changing the viewport itself.

Oh Help! I used ._mspace, and it copied and zoomed the object that was in model space, so that within my viewport in paper space I see two versions of it- one that is original size, and one that is zoomed size. I finally got rid of it, but I realized that I'd accidentally created two viewports in the same paper space, and I can't seem to get rid of the larger one (that I don't want). How do I delete the viewport that I originally created with my paper space template?

No worries, overlapping viewports aren't that bad.

First use the ._pspace command to deactivate your viewport. Now if you still cannot select the viewport you want to delete, move the viewport you want to keep a known distance to the side, then delete the viewport you don't want, moving the viewport (to be kept) back when done.

Second, go back into your AutoCAD Options, and on the display tab, in the bottom left, uncheck the 'Create viewport in new layouts' box. This *should* prevent viewports from being automatically created for you.

Okay, got all of the above accomplished, thanks to you, but now when I go to plot the drawing, the border that designates my viewport also plots. I don't want to see the viewport border, just my page border and title block. How do I make it stop printing (or publishing to .pdf, which it also does) the viewport border?

Too easy!

You could simply place the viewport on a no-plot layer, or freeze the layer (if it is for viewports only, like mine), etc.

Renderman,

Is the option available in the LT layers manager to select "non-plot"?

Just curious.

In Layer manager click the little printer icon on the layer you wish to not print. The icon should grey out and then have a red slash through it. Nothing on that layer will print then.

In Layer manager click the little printer icon on the layer you wish to not print. The icon should grey out and then have a red slash through it. Nothing on that layer will print then.

Yes, I know this, that's why I was asking if the option is available in the Acad 09 LT version for Susan-Skye's issue of not plotting the viewport border. Thanks though for your response.

Renderman,

Is the option available in the LT layers manager to select "non-plot"?

Just curious.

Yes, I know this, that's why I was asking if the option is available in the Acad 09 LT version for Susan-Skye's issue of not plotting the viewport border. Thanks though for your response.

Sorry for the delayed response, Squirltech... work is crazy right now :sweat:!

I'm glad Dana was able to answer your question.

Cheers! :beer:

:?Well, in that case, the answer is No. There is no 'Non-Plot' option specifically named 'Non-Plot' in any AutoCAD Layer Manager.:wink:

But, as Renderman stated in his previous post, and as I stated in mine, there are a few ways to render a layer 'Non-Plot', and they work basicly the same in all versions of AutoCAD, LT or otherwise, as long as it is new enough to have the layer manager.

There is no 'Non-Plot' option specifically named 'Non-Plot' in any AutoCAD Layer Manager.:wink:

Dana is correct.

Within the layer manager, the column title is 'Plot', where 'checking' the printer icon as Dana has described renders said layer 'Non-Plot', or (= :vlax-false (vla-get-plottable )) where 'plottable' is the subject layer property being modified.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having trouble with plotting from layouts. I have completed my cad drawings at 1:1 in model space, and set up view ports on page layouts. When I try to scale my drawings inside a viewport using the z, 1/100xp (for example), the drawing shows up way too big, and I know it is not true to size, as when I plot from model space, I can see the size it should be which fits perfectly inside my A3 paper.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What do you suggest?

It's just a floor plan of a reasonably small house, as I said, it prints fine in Model space when I scale 1:100 in the plot manager. SOrry for so many questions. I am just completely lost.