1st angle/3rd angle projection

Have any cad operators/designers ever went on the shop floor and seen how people work from your drawings?

First of all I work for a fabrication company doing engineering drawings.

I was well suprised this week and have been looking into it.

What I found and this is for New and Old frabricators on the shopfloor was only 5 in 10 knew how to read the projection symbols.

What I found was they guessed or trial and error on the way.

one said he never even looked at the symbols ever in 10 years of fabricating.

Once I explained how they worked they where amazed.

Also in my finding only 2 in 10 knew how to do trigonomatry

the 8 of them all said the same thing " learned it at school never used it as you CAD guyz work it out for us"

No one under 25 could read the projection symbols or do basic trig.

I find this alarming :shock:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dbroada

• ReMark

• khoshravan

• Lazer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

unfortunately I'm not surprised. When we started getting contract draughtsmen in (and not all young) who didn't know the difference I knew we were doomed. I have even had drawings returned from the shop floor asking for the (already correct) views to be corrected! :shock: Isn't it refreshing when a drawing gets correctly interpreted. :D

Makes me wonder how things ever to the customer correct.

The crazy thing is they do get there in the end.

I am also in the same boat where they say drawings not right,

( its them that cannot read a drawing)

probem is thier so use to faq packet drawings fom someone who has never use cad before they dont know how to read a pro drawing correct.

I agree, I think that it's down to the standard of education, or lack of it. It's all too easy (and a lot cheaper) to pull in a button presser off the street rather than a qualified engineer. I don't know of many companies now who can MILTFD - I won't print what that stands for, if you're a draughty you should know!

I agree, I think that it's down to the standard of education, or lack of it. It's all too easy (and a lot cheaper) to pull in a button presser off the street rather than a qualified engineer. I don't know of many companies now who can MILTFD - I won't print what that stands for, if you're a draughty you should know!

oh, make it like the friendly drawing :wink:

I've not encountered that one before.

• 2 years later...

I was thinking would the guys at Cadtutor help out this woodentop get his head round orthographic projection

I can never remember if 1st angle is American and 3rd angle is UK and what method of orthographic projection do architects use ?

Makes me wonder how things ever to the customer correct.

Sometimes I think I know more than I want to know about how things get done. Every time I get in an airplane, cross a bridge, walk in a building with tons of equipment suspended from the rafters...:?

lets see if i remember right... the 1st one is 1st angle and the 2nd one is 3rd angle.

i did those at school when drawing on the board but now i dont use them since i draw only plans...

Untitled.jpg

Reading drawings - that's why we should all do 3D/Inventor to make sure there are always nice exploded 3D views etc to help the 'workshop guys' read our drawings right.

Nick

or should drawings go down there origami style so they can see how to MILTFD? :P

anyway - you can't do that in electrical - the drawings make as much sense as a London underground map :lol:

... what method of orthographic projection do architects use ?

...there seems to be no need of a 'convention' as each view is labelled, by compass direction or perhaps significant geographic location (courtyard-, road-, railway-, elevation... I learned the conventions at school but have never need them since...

• 1 year later...

THE PROPER TERM IS "MILTFD-41"

THIS IS A TERM THAT WENT AROUND A LONG TIME AGO.

WHAT IT MENT WAS:

"Make It Like The F'n Drawing Four Once" the short version - just drop the "four once"

When there was actual checkers, the designers and draftsment used to put it on the drawing to see if the checkers were doing their job.

lets see if i remember right... the 1st one is 1st angle and the 2nd one is 3rd angle.

i did those at school when drawing on the board but now i dont use them since i draw only plans...

Everyone in the States uses 3rd angle. Not sure what countries use 1st angle.

In Inventor you can toggle it to generate one or the other so someone is using 1st angle.

Trig, my favorite subject.

Geometry comes in a close second.

As a fabricator, steel, we worked to drawings and had no need for math.

All was on the drawings, to scale, exact. Still fun being a steel fabricator.

Angles, lengths, structural shapes, all on the drawings. Piece of cake!

• 1 year later...
THE PROPER TERM IS "MILTFD-41"

THIS IS A TERM THAT WENT AROUND A LONG TIME AGO.

WHAT IT MENT WAS:

"Make It Like The F'n Drawing Four Once" the short version - just drop the "four once"

When there was actual checkers, the designers and draftsment used to put it on the drawing to see if the checkers were doing their job.

Dear larryspc

I am a non-native English speaker member of this forum.

I didn't understand the meaning of MILTFD.:( If possible please give some more explanation on MILTFD with 41 and wo 41:cry:

Also I didn't understand the story behind 1-st angle and 3-rd angle. If it doesn't bother, please explain for non-natives. Thanks

Edited by khoshravan
add comment