dimstyles with same name but different definitions

designerstuart

hi all

i have several dwgs with a dimstlye called x-100 but in each drawing that style has different height text etc. i want to make them all the same. tried using design centre but it says 'duplicate definition ignored'.... do i have to do it manually?

if so i would select all dims, change to another dimstyle, purge all dwgs, then re-style the dims? surely there is a better way!

thanks

dimupdate.JPG

try the dimupdate or update command. Ribbon as shown on acad 2010, or the Dimension Toolbar

edit: oops, I just read that it is for multiple drawings. almost certainly a lisp or macro so you could just use a single command or button, but still in each drawing.

You should be able to change the definition of the dimension style using 'dimstyle' command 'modify' button and then update all the dimensions using '-dimstyle' (note the hyphen), 'apply', select the dimensions to update.

Or use 'qselect' to select all the dims and then '-dimstyle' 'apply'.

Be careful to watch out for any dims that have been given dimension overrides as applying the modified style will loose these overrides and you will have to put them back.

thanks but i don't think this is what i'm after......

i understand how to modify dimstyles, this is a drawing management issue i think. as in, the problem is that someone has already modified my standard dimstyle in each drawing, rather than using a new or other one. so what i really want is some way to reset dimstyles to an original set of properties.

y'know like when you insert a block it says "would you like to redefine the block"..... is there a way to do this for dimstyles? would have thought design centre would do it.

but when you copy paste dims, they just come in as the 'current x100' as opposed to offering to update. if you know what i mean.

I think creating a new one called "whatever", inserting it in each drawing, qselect and change all the x100 over to the new one, then purging / deleting "x100" and renaming "whatever" to "x100".... that, but with a Lisp routine.

so no other suggestions? i'd be happy enough if someone could tell me it's impossible? just don't wanna do it manually then find a clever way to do it!

• 4 weeks later...

so just to clear this up -

nobody knows a way to change the definition of dimstyles which is quicker than manually modifying each one in turn?

thanks dave

that doesn't seem to work either, but it has shown me what the real problem is... but for now i'll have to accept there is no easy answer! thanks all