copying parts of xrefed drawing

Urte

Congrats on your first post, and welcome to the forums!

how can I copy part of referenced drawing & paste it to another?

There's a few ways to do this:

• Opening the referenced drawing directly, and copy+paste the entities you want into your destination drawing (be mindful of your UCS)
  • Opening the referenced drawing directly, and block out the entities you want to their own drawing (using the ._wblock command), then inserting them into your destination drawing (be mindful of your UCS, and insertion units)
  • If you have Express Tools installed you can copy nested entities (using the ._ncopy command) from your referenced drawing (this will not retain block definitions), then copy+paste them into your destination drawing

double click or refedit the xref, copy the items (off to the side), Remove from working set, discard changes and the copied items should be retained, then move [use Previous] them back to the right spot.

My two cents...

I would strongly recommend against using ._refedit on external references, there are many documented issues with doing so.

Instead try using the ._xopen command, if one of the previous methods is insufficient.

I would strongly recommend against using ._refedit on external references, there are many documented issues with doing so.

software or user error? I have never had a problem.8)

software or user error?

AutoCAD error.

Would it not stand to reason that Autodesk developed the ._xopen command for a purpose?

Or does that command development fall under the "For $#!%'s and Grins" category...? lol

• 2 weeks later...
Using the Express Tools' Ncopy command you can copy objects from an xref (or a block) into the current dwg.

:?

this only picks one object at a time, is there a way that I could select a portion of drawing? Thanks

Please help!!! Maybe I wasn't clear enough... so...

I manage drawing that has referenced drawing, to be more specific, referenced drawing is plant layout that includes only walls & pillars, I manage plans inside the walls, machines, work surfaces, etc. If I need to copy some section to other drawing it copies only my drawing, referenced drawing doesn't come up... Ncopy Tool works, but picks only single units...

Any clues how to do it the way I need?

Cheers

Edited by Urte