Roofplan offsets...Need help!!!

truedud

Does anyone know how much you would offset on a roof plan if you have different roof heights? For example....a section of the house is at 14' and another is at 19'...how do you show that 5' difference on the roof plan?

Does one roof overhang the other?

Since when are roof heights called out on plan views? Wouldn't this information be more appropriately shown on an elevation?

From the House Plan Site:

"The roof plan includes information on the slope, pitch and overhangs of the roof. The direction and span of roof trusses and joists are detailed on this sheet."

Maybe the OP is referring to plate heights? Ex. - 14'-0" PL @ Garage

Re: Overhangs. I've seen notes like this on roof plans: Overhang depth @ 7.5/12 as required to flush out fascia w/12/12 pitch.

I've also seen a set of architectural drawings that not only had a roof plan but an entire sheet of roof sections (the house had four different roof heights). I'll bet the contractor was appreciative of that.

Maybe the OP is referring to plate heights? Ex. - 14'-0" PL @ Garage

Re: Overhangs. I've seen notes like this on roof plans: Overhang depth @ 7.5/12 as required to flush out fascia w/12/12 pitch.

I've also seen a set of architectural drawings that not only had a roof plan but an entire sheet of roof sections (the house had four different roof heights). I'll bet the contractor was appreciative of that.

I suppose abit more info from the OP would help... :?

i am not worried about info the that is shown on roofplans....i just want to know how do you determine how much you offset on the roof plan when you have different plate heights?

In that case, then sketch the plan as you would normally. All that is required is the note 14' PLATE at the edge of the roof line... and 19" PLATE for the other, respectivley.

But there is more to it then just calling it out.....when you are drawing a roof plan and you have different plate heights you have to offset (i believe from the fascia) a certain amount of ft. for every difference in plate height. If you dont show this offset then the plate heights would be the same all around. In your pic...where the plate height changes from 14' to 19'...you have to offset to the left from the 14' plate height x amount of ft....thats what im trying to figure out is how do know how much to offset from the two different plate heights.

I actually have the book that its reffering to and suprisingly it doesnt cover the question im asking...thank you for your help...

Dang it! Sorry. I'll keep searching.

thank you for your help....found what i was looking for....:)

Would you mind very much posting your solution? I have been drawing house plans for many years and am having trouble understanding what you mean by "offset" in this instance.

Here is the symbol for showing diff ceiling heights:

height_sym.jpg

This is commercial not residential, however there is probably a similar symbol for showing roof and ceiling heights in residential plan views... Yes, please post anything you find...

KC