Make object's layer current: not working in 2011 - BUG ??

MarcoW

Good morning,

I do not know if anyone of you experienced this: in AutoCAD 2011 (64bit on Windows 7) I cannot make "an object's layer current". The only way I can do is to open the layer manager, select the desired layer and make it current.

"LAYMCUR" should do the trick but when invoking this, and selecting an object that's on a different layer, there is no change made allthough this is prompted at the command line:

Command:
Command: _Laymcur
Select object whose layer will become current:
Test is now the current layer.

This happens in a all drawings, even a new drawing with only a few layers, nothing locked! Anyone got any ideas, maybe even if this is to be fixed somehow?

Also I would be glad if someone would tell if he / she experienced the same. Just to make shure I am not the only one.

If this stays problematic, I can try to re-install AutoCAD.. would this help?

Thansk in advance for all the help!

Regrads,

MarcoW.

There seems to be a bit of a delay the first time the command is used but after that it appears to work as expected.

Do not reinstall AutoCAD.

Why does everyone jump on this option at the first sign of any trouble? When the check engine light comes on in your car do you think "Maybe I should reinstall the engine?"

Hi ReMark,

There seems to be a bit of a delay the first time the command is used but after that it appears to work as expected.

No, unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I have made me a little lisp that does the trick based on -layer & the set option. There is an option to select an object. This works. However, it shouldn't be nescessary to do this I figure.

Do not reinstall AutoCAD.

I will not do this as "first option" but there could have gone something wrong during install or maybe some files are corrupt...

Why does everyone jump on this option at the first sign of any trouble? When the check engine light comes on in your car do you think "Maybe I should reinstall the engine?"

ReMark, with all respect: I am not "everyone", I mean I do not know who you mean with everyone. I am not "responsible" for "everyone". Why do you give me this as an answer?

The reinstall option was something that came up in my head, therefore I asked if it would mean any help. Again, what's wrong with my question?

Furthermore: this is not a first sign of any trouble. Why do you assume this? I have tried all I can imagine, with systemvariables and other methods. The only thing I can think of is Lisp, like said above. It works but it isn't the way it should be. Therefore, the "first sign" part is not applicable.

Maybe this isn't the response you expected me to give. This also applies to me.

Kind Regards,

MarcoW.

I've been on AutoCAD MEP 2011 since around April and have yet to experience this problem. Edition of the 2011 could have a variable? Have you used the LAYMCUR button on the Layer Properties toolbar, and is that having the same issue?

Yes, the button and also the systemvariable itself (LAYMCUR). The commandbar says that the layer became current but looking in the layermanager tells me nothing changed. :x

• 1 month later...

Just to share, my tiny solution to the LayMCur problem I have...

I tried to make it look like the original command.

[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=#800080]; For those who might encounter the same problem    [/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=purple]; with the combination "AutoCAD 2011 x64 & Windows 7  [/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=purple]; x64 where... :                    [/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=purple];                            [/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=purple];      > The command "LayMCur" does not work... <     [/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=purple];                            [/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=purple]; Just a simple solution by MarcoW 06-12-2010        [/color][/font][/size]

[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=red]([/color][color=blue]defun[/color] c:nLayMCur [color=red]([/color][color=blue]/[/color] LayerName[color=red])[/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=purple]; Get layername to set current[/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=red]([/color][color=blue]setq    LayerName[/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys]    [color=red]([/color][color=blue]cdr[/color] [color=red]([/color][color=blue]assoc[/color] [color=green]8[/color] [color=red]([/color][color=blue]entget[/color] [color=red]([/color][color=blue]car[/color] [color=red]([/color][color=blue]entsel[/color] [color=#ff00ff]"\nSelect object whose layer will become current: "[/color][color=red])))))[/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=red])[/color] [color=purple];_setq[/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=red]([/color][color=blue]command[/color] [color=#ff00ff]"._layer"[/color] [color=#ff00ff]"Set"[/color] LayerName [color=#ff00ff]""[/color][color=red])[/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=red]([/color][color=blue]princ[/color] [color=red]([/color][color=blue]strcat[/color] [color=#ff00ff]"\n"[/color] LayerName [color=#ff00ff]" is now the current layer."[/color][color=red]))[/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=red]([/color][color=blue]princ[/color][color=red])[/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=red])[/color] [color=purple];_defun[/color][/font][/size]

[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=purple];|«Visual LISP© Format Options»[/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=red]([/color][color=green]120[/color] [color=green]2[/color] [color=green]2[/color] [color=green]2[/color] nil [color=#ff00ff]"Ende von "[/color] [color=green]100[/color] [color=green]9[/color] [color=green]0[/color] [color=green]0[/color] [color=green]0[/color] T T nil T[color=red])[/color][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Fixedsys][color=purple];*** DO NOT add text below the comment! ***|;[/color][/font][/size]

• 10 months later...

Two different versions of AutoCAD and you encounter the same exact problem? What are the chances of that happening? A zillion to one?

Just tested it on my system running 2012 x64 +SP1 / W7 x64 too. No problem here.

If it was anyone else I'd ask them where they have been getting their software from.

Your 2011 solution doesn't work for 2012?

Hi Mark,

Yes the little lisp does do the trick, thanks for asking. But I noticed the 2012 version having the same issue.

But I believe it has nothing to do with AutoCAD, it is more likely that my W7 x64 setup / configuration or whatever is bugging me.

Example: when having opened the VLIDE editor (on top of the AutoCAD screen) and my mouse is moving over a Layout-Tab, the "Tab Preview" is shown on top of my VLIDE editor. I can move or do whatever I want but the preview sticks on the screen, even on minimize VLIDE editor. Odd thing ain't it?

I found out that the preview disappears when moving the mouse over the model tab, and then back over the VLIDE editor without getting even near to the layout tabs. When talking about odd...

Also: pressing F2 opens the (I don't know the name) command bar in a seperate window. In my case: most of the time there only appears a taskbar right next to my AutoCAD taskbar, as if the F2 thing was opened minimized. When clicking on it, nothing happens. I found out that I can only see the F2 dialog when first pressing F2, then shift + right mouseclick on the taskbar. Maybe this is even more odd.

I am sure there are few more issues wich I do not even recognize as being an issue :-\ because I am so used to things.

W7 & Office: all office document have a "unknown" icon, if you get what I mean. Like an excel file, the icon should be a SpreadSheet kinda thing. In my case all doc, docx, xls, xls and so on (even outlook items) are of an unknow kind.

Since my custom made computer (quad core intel processor + 8gB memory + nvidea videocard etc.) had some hardware issues wich are now finally solved (as it seems) I feel no longer the urge to solve all problems the official way: I get along and thats that.

One thing I learned: next time I will not buy a custom made PC but one out of the box that suits my needs, it will defenitely be even more expensive but that is a thing wich my boss can decide then.

Maybe you have some bad sectors on your hard drive and the data written to those sectors is corrupted. Have you run CHKDSK? Have you downloaded, installed and run any hard drive diagnostics from the manufacturer of the hard drive?

I can't remember the last time I bought an off-the-shelf computer. I use custom built computers at home and at work.

I still find it very difficult however to understand how you could end up with the exact same problem in two different releases of AutoCAD.

Have you downloaded, installed and run any hard drive diagnostics from the manufacturer of the hard drive?

Yes they have, but I am done with it. At the moment the machine runs properly, with a few things to remember :-)

As I said: it is more likely that Windows causes all of this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark here I am again, no Windows is never repaired.

I told you this:

Also: pressing F2 opens the (I don't know the name) command bar in a seperate window. In my case: most of the time there only appears a taskbar right next to my AutoCAD taskbar, as if the F2 thing was opened minimized. When clicking on it, nothing happens. I found out that I can only see the F2 dialog when first pressing F2, then shift + right mouseclick on the taskbar. Maybe this is even more odd.

Espescially when doing some programming I need that window a lot, but 90% it is in the background. If I make AutoCAD half the screen size, then I can see the TEXTSCR window. I click on it and drag it around, it stays behind the AutoCAD window. When doubleclicking, it maximazes on top of autocad. When resizing, it stays on top of AutoCAD. When maximizing AutoCAD the TEXTSCR window disappears into the background.

Would this be the right moment to ritally burn my machine?

• 11 months later...