Create contour lines

Nuttieke

Hi everybody,

again a question from me, the newbie. :?

So I have finally been able to create a surface that I like and slice some 3D solids using this surface. But now I would like to draw some contour lines of that surface. I have seen some videos about creating contour lines (such as this one:

). But in this video they import the surface using the 'connect to data' button in the toolspace area. Is it possible to insert a surface from your drawing into the toolspace area and then draw the contour lines?

I managed to insert the layer containing the surface using Data --> Add drawing data --> Drawing layer... but I cannot change style or create contour lines.

Thank you!

I think your playing with two different methods at the same time a DTM TIN etc is different to a solid they both have different ways of displaying a similar answer a solid is one object, a surface is an object created from and updated by a number of independant points.

I think you need to stay within one method either surface civ3D/map or Acad solids.

Contours are normally from a surface (which is not quite right its actualy from the 3pts that make a triangluar surface and how it meets the edges)

If you stay within one method then I think help will come easier.

If you look at the file, you will see that there is also a surface present. I'm not trying to create contour lines using the solids.

I have now drawn the contour lines manually, but it's a very easy 'procedure' so there must be some kind of automatic way to do this, I guess?

Do you have Civil 3D if so then its just a case of choosing a contour label style and contours will appear. Map is included in CIV 3d so maybe you just need to change to the civil workspace.

Yes, I have Civil 3D but I haven't managed to do it.

Could you try it on my file? So at least I know it is possible or not?

Edited by Nuttieke

• 1 year later...

:roll:

Hello ,

relating to this issue i am also trying to converting a polyline to a contour by known fixed elevation for exaple if i have a plane surface data but there is a pit in somewhere which i have its border and inside elevations (some level points) so i have first to indicate the nearby outside points to give the same elevation of main plane surface i have after i can handle with the surface to calculate volume e.t.c. ..so please how can i add polylines as contour (converting them to ) ..thanks to all whom help this forum to be always in the first page on google search :):)

Nuttieke where is your file ?

adnhmz you can import 3d lines and make a surface in CIV3d just look under Toolspace Surface for "Definition" "Drawing objects"