Frustrated about Speciality Edge

schlosser37

Today my teacher in my AutoCad class challenged us to create a jagged edge type such as the one in the picture below. I have searched and searched and found no luck. You can't just create a polyline that looks similar to this, he wants us to figure out how to do it and if we do we get mega bonus points and I am beyond frustrated.

I am thinking it's got something to do with viewport clipping as this detail view is in a viewport. But that's pretty much how far I got. I've also looked at different linetypes but couldn't find any like this.

If anyone has any suggestions or help please let me know, thank you!

Picture 1.png

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schlosser37

• ReMark

• rkent

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are referring to the jagged line at either end of the object right?

I'd use a polyline if you did not want to use the line break symbol as depicted in the image provided by nestly above.

"You can't just create a polyline that looks similar to this..."

Really? You can't? Do I have the wrong line duplicated below (the red one)?

ZigZag.jpg

Believe it or not that is a continuous polyline that I assigned a width to then copied it over to the right for reuse.

I think what the OP means is the teacher does not want them to just draw a 'freehand' polyline. I'm not sure what he expects though. A block for re-use maybe? I'd stick with the standard jog line myself.

A little more clarity is all we seek schlosser37. How about it?

A block? It would have to be dynamic as no two instances of its use will remain the same. In that case it is the AutoCAD line break symbol that makes the most sense.

.........I am thinking it's got something to do with viewport clipping..........

I believe you could achieve this effect with a wipeout using a closed polyline.

To create a viewport in a layout from an object. MVIEW, Object, select. So you draw the shape you want, straight polylines in the horizontal, jagged in the vertical, make sure it is closed. Use the above, adjust your view for the proper scale, draw the break lines on top of the viewport edge so it will plot.

He stated that it isn't just a freehand polyline. And the breakline isn't what he wanted us to use. And yes I am referring to the jagged line at the end of the object. I've searched and searched and I don't know what he expects us to do besides a block or freehand polyline.

Perhaps he wanted you to create a linetype, similar to ZigZag, but with a more random pattern? Is the image you posted his example, or yours?

So set your Polar setting to 30 or whatever and then draw the pline using polar. I suspect your instructor is making more of something that is not worth worrying about. If your instructor is really a*n*a*l* I guess you could set snap on and set it to a value that makes sense for the cut.

Perhaps the subject you were learning about at the time of the assignment would help figure out what he's after. Was the current topic in class about dimensions? viewports? linetypes? lines/polylines? trimming/extending? snaps/tracking?

BTW, there is only one breakline "style" included in AutoCAD.

In class we were learning mostly about Dimensioning and we did viewports last week. I included a jpg of the assignment for this week. The worst part is the assignments are ridiculously easy and we submit them in pdf format so I could make a polyline with that same pattern and he would never know but at this point its about trying to figure out how he did it. He said its worth 40 bonus marks which is quite a bit so I wanted to figure it out because he thinks he knows everything and when we correct him he gets annoyed.

Picture 2.jpg

The worst part is the assignments are ridiculously easy and we submit them in pdf format...

You must be joking.... Thats like a food critic judging from pictures...

Anyways, if this is to be done in paper space... then a custom viewport with the "jagged lines" can be made with no plot turned on, then just trace the jagged lines with something that will plot...

So I think we may have done it, a friend and I have been working on this all day. If you make a break line then change the line type to zig zag and enter a linetype scale to .5 or something similar you get a line that looks like a jagged edge.

This is as far as I have gotten to a possible solution.

Glad to hear you have found a unique solution to the problem.

I think your teacher needs to add a bit more depth to his assignments. Honestly, I'm left wondering why this task was so important to him to waste his students time on.