Replacing pointed iges surfaces in Inventor

NavArk

In my last job we designed boat hulls in Maxsurf and then exported iges surfaces to Catia for all the structures/styling/fitout/drawings etc. If we made a change to the hull we just re-exported the iges, brought it into Catia and then repointed any operations (trims, extracts, offsets etc.) from the old surface to the new one. In fact, there was a shortcut so you only have to repoint one operation, but thats not what my question is about...

I'm now with a new company and we design boat hulls in Maxsurf, export iges surfaces and then use Rhino and AutoCAD for everything else, which is as painful as it sounds. I've persuaded them that we need to upgrade to the 21st century and the programs in the running are Inventor, Solidworks and ProE (budget won't stretch to Catia this time). My question is (I got there in the end!): Can you do the same replacing of pointed iges surfaces in Inventor as you can in Catia, and operations will update?

I've been doing a lot of research and one thing I've learnt is, just because Catia can do something, doesn't mean the others can...

Thanks in advance for your help