cutting component from drawing

endlasuresh

I have a drawing of plastic component which i need to make parts.I am not getting how to open that and select parts etc as i am very new to sollidworks.

Please let me know whether i should open in solidworks or solid viewer etc.and then make it into parts or else should i draw a new drawing based on the dimensions ?

I think we need to get the nomenclature right. Do you want to create a 2d engineering drawing from the file or do you want to split a part file with multiple bodies into individual part files?

If you have a part file with multiple bodies in the top of your feature tree you should have a folder called "Solid Bodies". This folder will contain all the solid bodies in the part file. If you expand this folder and right click on any of the parts you will see "Insert into New Part...". That will export that solid body into its own part file.

I need a 2d engg drawing from the file but it should be in pieces.from the image you see rectangle box which is in red color.

I have to seperate this and then have to make 2d engg drawing for making this part.So please let me know how i should do this[ATTACH]24031[/ATTACH]

img.JPG

Edited by endlasuresh

When you are in a drawing if you expand that assembly file in the tree(left hand side) you can show/hide individual components by right clicking on them and selecting show/hide.

SWDrawingHide.JPG

its a 2d drawing file and i dont see assembly parts.I think it exists in the assembly file.Do i need the assembly file or is their any method

edit

I have drawn the part but i not getting extrude cut.I followed the tutorial lesson 2 and still i am geting wrong.I jneed to cut 1.5 mm on left side but it should half part selection

you can look at the image

new.JPG

Edited by endlasuresh

thanks for the help

yes I am getting trouble with extrude cut.when i used extrude cut i am getting only one option through all in extrude cut property manager.however i tried today and i get all options but still it cuts above the hole and side by hole.

I am missing something please let me know how to do cut this

I dont think I am understanding your problem correctly but from your screen shot there is a blue endpoint meaning it is under-defined. Were you able to open my file? Can you upload a zip of your file here so i can look at it?

end, your sketch is not valid for extrude-cut because its not closed. You need a closed profile in order to to extrude-cut. In the case of your sketch you can grab the blue endpoint of the arc and just drag it up until its coincident with the vertical line. I dont see a need for sketch 12 or 13.

OpenSketch.jpg

Part4.zip

thanks

I have corrected the problem now.Is their any method to cut the thickness 1.5 on both sides or should i rotate to other side and cut it ?

you can use the same sketch again. In the cut-extrude dialog the first option at the top is to start the cut at the sketch plane. This drop down box will let you select From Surface and you can click on the opposite side of the part. Then in the next drop down box you can use the "blind" condition and enter 1.5mm. Just make sure your direction is correct.

I am now understanding how to use this extrude cut feature.here few other questions.

1.I have to make this part in drawing sheet and i know i have to use drawing option but how should i do thickness and measurements etc.

Is their any punch tool to punch this on a square plate for making die.

in the drawing there are tabs at the top just like in the modeling environment. The "View Layout" tab will allow you to place views. The "Annotations" tab is where you will apply dimensions. How you lay the views out and the dimensions depends on what the drawing is used for and the standards you need to follow.

As far as making a die thats a little more complicated. They are called Forming Tools in solidworks and there are several in the Design Library. The best thing for you to do is to go to your Help Menu and search the index for Forming Tools and read through whats provided. It will give you an in depth explanation to the tools and how to use/create them. They are applied to sheet metal parts so you couldnt do anything with the forming tools on your solid as it is. Read through the help and if you have trouble ask questions about it. It will be too hard for me to explain them if you havent gone through the help file first.

I have made the drawing sheet and i want to print it however i dont have a printer and i have to print in shop but their solidworks would not be available.is their any method to print it ?

for the die i will later post since it takes more time and i have to learn a lot to design parts.

edit

i ahve printed as saving jpeg format

Edited by endlasuresh

You have several options for that. I would Save As and choose PDF for your format. This will let you choose individual sheets(if you have more than one) and nearly all printing places will be able to open a pdf.