Unique CUIs?

HydroGuy

I'm currently working on redevoloping our companies CAD standards and part of this is the CUIs. My question to everyone is what kind of Unique CUIs do you or your comapny use? Any comments on type of CUIs or organization is greatly appreciated.

• 5 years later...

I actually still use .mnu files for easier organisation. I find it much quicker to change things in an .mnu file. The only downside is if you want to use the ribbon which .mnu fils can't do and if you load a .mnu file it will overwrite any existing .cui file ribbons so you need to be careful. But I really hate the ribbon and never use it

Cad standards is one part, using cuis is about improvement, consistency. We are trying hard to improve our stds with name and shame sessions, group agreement on stds not just the boss. There is a lot of discussions about cad stds here do a search some people have even posted their CAD Stds manual.

Back to cuis I am running 4, includes combining 2 and making 1 so that I don't go over a single line and 2 custom toolbars, why have 10 toolbars displayed and use only 3 commands in each one, put the used ones in a single toolbar.

We have a layer/legend lines in our template and we put this in a convenient spot so use the layer select to make current easier than changing via layer manager.

In closing I do know of one multi million $ project some 300+ sites that all staff had their Autocad menu removed and only the company menu was to be used, every object had menu options for consistency.

I use a CUIX file that is shared on a server folder to all our team's machines. For those users who work remotely it is copied regularly to a Dropbox folder that syncs to their local drive. I can see a time when I move everyone on to the Dropbox folder so I don't have to update anything. But I am still experimenting with conflicting files if anyone else ever makes changes to the CUIX.

I also share the dictionay files, tool palettes and the filter setups. And everything in the "Support" folders are on the central shared server so everyone sees the same.

I love the ribbon. Nothing has sped up our drafting like customising the entire ribbon. Using all new tabs and panels we have virtually scrapped what AutoCAD starts with OOTB and moved the commands in the order we need them, from left to right, working through new tabs with each distinct part of the drawing process.

Putting them in order that makes sense to your workflow is just the start, then you can combine commands that you use together into single buttons. And then you'll save some real significant time in your team.

I gave an AUGI ATP course on Menu Customization in 2003, being able to add comments and easily find things in MNU files made it a lot simpler than using the CUI interface. I adapted though because the ribbon is a much better interface. One tab can easily have 200 macros organized in panels for easy access with icons. Easier to follow than the old drop-down menus without using up any screen space like the drop-down menus.

Edit CUIX files with great caution, I make dated backup copies each time before I edit mine. Mucked one up years ago and had to rebuild it.

A little secret rename cuix to zip and open.

Putting them in order
YZ could not agree more, was asked once dont want the guys to have to remember what to do next just want it to happen. So wrote a custom macro non Autocad program they were very happy.