Flattened Funnel for Sheet metal shop (How to DIY)

VIC842

Hey everyone

While this is not really a CAD question, I am the CAD guy here at my company and I was given the question and job to come up with a drawing of what a 16"x4" funnel that is 12" tall would look like if it were flattened out to make a template for a sheet metal shop.

My question is: How do I go about drawing this or figuring out the dims of a flattened funnel?

I know its pretty easy in Solidworks and Inventor and if someone could whip out a pdf of it real quick that be amazing... hahaha You dont get it if you dont ask =)

any help is so greatly appreciated

Vic M

There has to be a pictorial representation (along with a written description of the steps) of the development of a cone somewhere on the Internet. Try a search. In the meantime maybe someone with Inventor or Solidworks will come to your rescue.

I have been looking online for anything representing this but all I keep getting is a "Sales Funnel", needless to say, not what I am looking for... Hahaha

Well I've been looking too but not online. I looked in something called a book? LOL

I found a two step procedure for developing a truncated cone which has to be pretty close to what you need. I do have another resource or two I can check so hold on because...I'll be back.

OK...I'm baaaaack!

Checked both sources. One was a repeat but the other had the development of a cone (non-truncated).

Ohhh a book... Hadnt thought of that... Smartass...

Nothing I have here has anything I can use...

Thanks for all the help...

V

Well I was going to offer to create a PDF but I guess you wouldn't be interested. OK. Bye.

Thanks again... I will e saving that little webpage in my favorites... I did luck out with someone from CAD Forums hooking me up with an unfolding of the funnel...

Thanks again for all your help

Hope this works

V