Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• fuccaro

• fedora

• Mr T

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First off, you will need to download 3dspiral.lsp

Its an AutoLISP app for easily making spirals (2D and 3D). Where you save it doesn't matter, just make sure you remember where you saved it to.

Also, I am using AutoCAD 2002. If you have a different version then this may not follow exactly what you'll see, but it should be close enough.

I will show you how to make a bolt with radius 10cm, shaft length 100cm, head length 20cm, and head radius 40cm. The thread will be 2cm wide and 1cm deep. Any conversions or size differences you can figure out on your own.

1. Goto Tools>Load Application... and browse to the directory you saved 3dspiral.lsp in and load it. You will see "_appload 3DSPIRAL.LSP successfully loaded." in the command line if you've succeeded. Close the load application window.

2. First lets do the easy part: draw the shaft & head (quit it you perv).

Create a circle with radius 10 and extrude it to a height of 100.

On the top end draw a 6 sided inscribed polygon with radius 20.

Extrude it to a height of 10.

3. Now the fun part. Lets draw a spiral!

- Type 3dspiral in the command window.

- The first thing it asks for is the center point. With center snapping enabled (F3) select the center of the bottom of the shaft cylinder.

IMPORTANT! Make sure you turn off snapping before you complete the 3dspiral command or you will get verrry unexpected results. ie Spaghetti

- The second thing it asks for is the number of rotations. This is a factor of your height and the vertical growth of the spiral (later). In this example use 40.

- The third thing it asks for is the starting radius. We want the spiral radius to be the same as the cylinder radius so enter 10.

- The fourth thing it asks for is the Horizontal Growth Per Rotation. We don't want our spiral to to expand or taper into a cone so we enter 0 for no growth.

- The fifth thing it asks for is the Vertical Growth Per Rotation. This is a factor of your height and the vertical growth of the spiral (earlier). In this example use 2.

- The final thing it asks for is the Points Per Rotation. The default is 30, with is fine in this case. Using less points will give you less of a smooth arc on the spiral.

Now you should have a spiral coiling up and around the edge of your cylinder.

Finally, you will need to extrude a circle of radius 1 along the path of the spiral. Then subtract the spiral solid from the shaft cylinder solid. Tada! You have a threaded cyclinder!

Put some finishing touches on it, like fillet the bottom edge with radius 1, and chamfer the 6 edges on the top of the head with both distances set to 1. Throw on a nice little chrome material and tada! You have a bolt!

Happy spiralling!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I found a way to make screw threads with no lisp routines involved. I use 2000. I'll post a tutorial (if anyone's interested...) when I get home from work today. Here's an image of a Pem Stud I modeled using this method... (the dimple on the bottom was on purpose)

stud.jpg

2. First lets do the easy part: draw the shaft & head (quit it you perv).

:shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

hahah, i'm sorry! i tried really, really hard not to!

just one of those kinds of days i suppose :sweat:

and very nice tutorial!!! good job! :thumbsup:

alot depends on how realistic you need your bolt, if you want a reprenstation of a thread then a revolved solid will give you the look, but if you require a true spiral thread then lisp may be the only way to go. i have use a simple triangle revolved around the shaft of the bolt then subtracted to make a pretty convincing but non realistic thread view

yedan_bolt.jpg

Ugh... sorry guys, I know I said I'd write up how I made that bolt with no lisp, but it's hard to find the time. I'll get around to it eventually though.

• 2 months later...

hello

i'm very interested to fine how do i draw a bolt?

if you don't mind please send me an instroction of it

thank you

skionn:wink:

I found a way to make screw threads with no lisp routines involved. I use 2000. I'll post a tutorial (if anyone's interested...) when I get home from work today. Here's an image of a Pem Stud I modeled using this method... (the dimple on the bottom was on purpose)

stud.jpg

You're gonna have to just ignore that picture of the bolt right there. It's something I made a while back and realized that it's incorrect. If you look at it from any other view you'll see that the spiral looks a little funky. I've tried and I absolutely can NOT make a solid spiral without using any sort of lisp. I can make it out of surfaces, but that does not good.

if you do not need an accurate thread then look for my explianation on how i made a NUT using Donuts, it gives an accurate looking spiral thread but the thread shape is wrong, instead of the threads being triangular in shape they are circular but when used it is quite hard to tell the differance and so looks ok aslong as all you require is a representation of a thread and your not needing the accurate thread shape.

yedan_bolt2.jpg

this is the final nut, if you want to know more look for my post,

• 2 months later...
Finally, you will need to extrude a circle of radius 1 along the path of the spiral. Then subtract the spiral solid from the shaft cylinder solid. Tada! You have a threaded cyclinder!

Nice tip! I was able to follow up to the spiraling line but was lost in the extrusion of circle along the path.

My question is, which UCS face should I use to extrude the radius 1 circle? When I try to make a circle, it has the same UCS as the bolt and it doesn't make nay difference when I subtracted the circle on the bolt itself.

Please enlighten me here. :) Thanks!

BTW, I'm using 2004.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I think the way I use to make bolts/threads is not the fastest way to do it, but it is a way that doesn't use Lisp.

With the "helix" command I set out the main caracteristics of the thread such as distance between the turns and the amount of turns, then I draw the "tooth" of the thread according to my manual with a polyline. (So it is a very accurate thread) This I place on the end of the helix.

Last thing to do is to "Sweep" this polyline using the helix as a path.

Results are good enough for my use.

Btw: I'm not sure if this technique is also possible using older Acad versions.

bolt2.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have tryied to use a 3dspiral one point lesson on the forum, but stuck on "to extrude a circle of radius 1 along the path of the spiral". I am working on a standard 1/4x20 bolt. Does any body knows where is possible to grab a standard 3d bolts and paste. Ofcourse it's cheating, but...to extrude along the spiral? sorry people, you probably 'd laugh, it's so old. I am freshgirl in autocad.

Thanks a lot

спасибо

Anjel