Published PDF layout name problem

lutcus

Hi.

I have drawing.dwg file for example. Layout name is SK-0.1. i Publish it with DWG to PDF in "AutoCad Architecture 2010". and usually i should have "drawing-SK-0.1.pdf" file, but I now have "drawing-SK-0_1.pdf". What is the problem? why the layout name was changed to ..SK-0_1.pdf ?? it should have to be ..SK-0.1.pdf. Thank you for answer..

I assume that its changed because it's really not good to have another dot besides the file-extension-dot (i.e. .dwg) in a file-name. I have had files become non-openable because of that.

I assume that its changed because it's really not good to have another dot besides the file-extension-dot (i.e. .dwg) in a file-name. I have had files become non-openable because of that.

There were not problems with previous versions.. by the way, I use Autocad 2009LT before.. and it were ok with dot in layouts names....

I am not saying that it will not work to have more than one dot in a file name, but I would not recommend it, and perhaps this change is also a recommendation not to do that.

I have had multiple files crash on me in the earlier versions of Revit over and over again until we realised that the problem was the folder that the files where in had a unusual sign (an Å)... that was enough to make Revit go BAAHHHHhh-kaboom.

Hi lutcus;

Computers are a lot more tolerant with filenames these days; in the past (all of 15 years ago) the OS would get to the first dot and assume that whatever came after was the file extension.

The programme would then crash because it couldn't recognise the filetype.

Similarly spaces were not allowed in filenames.

You can recognise older/experienced computer users, we use an underscore in filenames instead of a space.

There are still characters on your keyboard that you cannot use in a filename because they mean something specific to the OS:

\ /:*?" |

I am not saying that it will not work to have more than one dot in a file name, but I would not recommend it, and perhaps this change is also a recommendation not to do that.

I have had multiple files crash on me in the earlier versions of Revit over and over again until we realised that the problem was the folder that the files where in had a unusual sign (an Å)... that was enough to make Revit go BAAHHHHhh-kaboom.

This problem comes, when i publishing two or more layouts. (02-S-TP-SK-0_1.pdf; 02-S-TP-SK-0_2.pdf.......-SK-0_3...).When i plot one layout the name is corect.. for example 02-S-TP-SK-0.1.pdf.. it's very sad.. because with 2009 Lite version it was ok..today I use Cad Architecture 2010 and it has this pdf file name problem...

ok.. i found out in other forums, that it's newest versions ACad problem.. they just do not want we use Adobe products.. it's fuc..in' sad, but it's true.. so i sloved it by using free file rename soft..

• 1 year later...

Hi,

since we are talking about name and publishing...I have an other problemconcerning this topic ....some times the name of the pdf is shorter than the layout name ( only 10 letters or so). It looks like there's something that controls the length of the name...did sombody experience the same problem?

Thanks in advance for the help

P.S. :I'm using Autocad Mep2009 and the layouts are set with the AdobePDF printer and they are saved atumatically in a specific folder without prompting for the name.

Hi,

since we are talking about name and publishing...I have an other problemconcerning this topic ....some times the name of the pdf is shorter than the layout name ( only 10 letters or so). It looks like there's something that controls the length of the name...did sombody experience the same problem?

Thanks in advance for the help

P.S. :I'm using Autocad Mep2009 and the layouts are set with the AdobePDF printer and they are saved atumatically in a specific folder without prompting for the name.

I have experienced this though i don't know what causes it or how to prevent it, hopefully someone here will have some awnsers .....

We use FILENAME.R1.dwg and FILENAME.R2.dwg respectively for Revision 1 and Revision 2. When we .pdf, the file name automatically drops the .R1 or .R2 leaving us with just FILENAME.pdf.