How would YOU draw this? Can it be done?

bbankston

Attached is a fax we got in from a client a couple of days ago. My task is to recreate it so that we can get the "block size" (width & height) of the glass. My question to you is, "Can it be recreated with only the information given?". I say thee, nay!

Thanks for the help,

Brandon

scan.jpg

At this resolution I can't make out the numbers. If you assume the curves are tangent to the lines, though, it should be possible. If they are not necessarily tangent, then you would need the locations of the center points.

By the way, what in blazes is this thing?

My question to you is, "Can it be recreated with only the information given?". I say thee, nay!

... Then I say thee, you are mistaken.

Now, that is based on my looking for your critical points (points of tangency, points of compound curves, radii, etc.). I was going to draw it quickly, but even zoomed in to 400% I cannot make out the dimensions. :(

Hint - Start in the bottom left corner, and draw the outer most line work... then offset it 17" to the right. Remember, '2-point circle', and 'tan tan radius' are your friends. :wink:

Renderman,

I have started that much. See attachment. The trouble area is the top left radius and it's mate at the bottom. As you can see, the shape starts to taper at that point.

AutoCAD LT - [Drawing3.dwg].jpg

Assuming that the curves are tangential... either draw a construction line, and/or set your UCS from the center point of the last circle/arc, then proceed with your next 2-point circle.

Well, I didn't figure it out but, since it's for quoting purposes only and not spot-on, I just used the JPG attached from the beginning. I traced it in Adobe Illustrator and made sure that my bezier curves were based on radii and not splines. I then exported it out to DXF - scaled in CAD - then PDF'd it and sent it out to our estimator/quote person. Thanks for the help folks.

SW Power Pool 22OCT10 - Rachel Drawing.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Standard.jpg