Wblocks

DUNCANEDAVIES

I am working with Autocad 2002 and have the following query on a drg. I can create a world block from another drg. but cannot load it onto my current drg.

The world block arrives on the screen, but when I press the mouse to position it the wblock disappears.

After you did the insertion you should have done a Zoom > Extents. I think the block did not disappear it may have had an insertion point of 0,0. WBlock means Write Block not World Block. The block is written to the hard drive and saved as a dwg file.

Make certain the layer you are inserting the .dwg file on is not off or frozen. As remark said, wblock is write block, it is a command name only, once you have used wblock the result is a .dwg file. There is no entity named wblock. When it is inserted into a drawing it is a block.

Thanks for all the info, however not quite the answer. I have now isolated the problem to a specific drg. which for some reason will not allow me to make a wblock. I have already made other wblocks from different drg's and placed them within my ongoing GA, without a problem.

A drawing does not allow you to create a WBlock? That seems rather unusual. What is the source of the drawing?

BTW...the abbreviation for drawing, when you speak of AutoCAD, is dwg not drg. Terminology 101.

The copy/paste bug, which affects drawings originally drawn in r2007 and then saved as r2002, also disables the Wblock command. :cry:

Ahhh....yes....the bug. Completely forgot. 2002 and 2007 seem so long ago.

Thanks again for quick responses, this probably is the cause as many dwg files I bring in from England are 2007+. I assume there is no solution to this problem except buying the latest Autocad package from scratch.

The way that I deal with this (I am running r2002) is to start a new drawing from scratch, then insert the offending drawing as a block and explode it. This seems to allow copy/paste, and Wblock to work again.

You can see when Wblock is working because there is a brief glimpse of the preview picture on the screen. If you don't see this, then Wblock is not working.

It is too late now for the originators of the drawing to apply the Hot-fix to their version of AutoCAD, if they even realize what problems they are causing :cry:

Thanks for usefull info, I will inform the company of this Hot-fix for any future 2007 dwg files that need converting. While on the line the GA I am undertaking has gained another quirk, it no longer fills the screen. When I plot an A3 print it only covers about 80% of the paper. I have exploded areas beyond drawing limits but to no avail.