Kerb Design

Craig F

Hi,

I am designing a car park(Civil3D 2011) and need to include kerb and gutter around the perimeter. When designing roads, i can place kerbs along the alignment but this is not working for me for the car park.

Is there a simple way to design a kerb and gutter along a polyline or featureline?

Thanks in advance.

One recommended procedure (there may be others) is to create a wall breakline for each curb segment. You will have to provide elevations at the vertices of your line, one at the bottom and another at the top. For the top elevation you can use an explicit value or an offset from the bottom. It's a clunky sort of solution, especially if you have rounded curbs (surfaces don't handle round places), but I don't know of a better way.

What alanjt said is the approach I use. It is fast and painless and allows the level of detail required in a parking lot (car park). Simply offset or use Adjacent Feature Elevations to build the curb.

Thanks, I have used what alanjt has suggested. This was going to be my original approach, i was just hoping for a dynamic template so that when/if i need to raise/lower the car park design RL, the kerb (curb) and points would reflect this change.

Thanks everyone for your propmt replies.

For the record, there are people who use corridors for parking lot curbs. To do it, you have to make the pavement edge into an alignment, then define a profile and create a corridor. It seems like a lot of work to me, but the rewards potentially include great rendering.

Thanks, I have used what alanjt has suggested. This was going to be my original approach, i was just hoping for a dynamic template so that when/if i need to raise/lower the car park design RL, the kerb (curb) and points would reflect this change.

Thanks everyone for your propmt replies.

I reference a surface with the feature lines, they will be relative to the surface. Thus raising/lowering if the surface level changes.

Corridors is ideal and quite useful, but if it's small enough, I just find it easier to deal with feature lines.

I reference a surface with the feature lines, they will be relative to the surface. Thus raising/lowering if the surface level changes.

I have a question about this. I'm aware that a surface will change if one of its constituent feature lines is changed, but I don't think there is a way for a feature line to change when a surface changes unless the feature line is generated as part of a corridor. Am I hearing you right?

I have a question about this. I'm aware that a surface will change if one of its constituent feature lines is changed, but I don't think there is a way for a feature line to change when a surface changes unless the feature line is generated as part of a corridor. Am I hearing you right?

No, draw your feature line, or convert a polyline to a feature line, then reference a surface with it. From there, you can raise/lower your feature line. I've used this for curbing and putting in water lines (water just needs to be three feet below surface, so you just reference the surface with the feature line, lower 3 feet and convert to pipe network).