Problem with scaling

alan_mardan

Hi every one,

I use autocad 2011, i tended to have scale 1:1 from beginning and did all my drawings. When i print my layout, it shows a line of 8000 mm in the actual drawing as 6.5 cm measured by ruler on the paper.

Please i need help with this issue to get a correct scale?

Regards

Alan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alan_mardan

• ReMark

• qball

• nicolas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If plotting from paperspace:

- Viewport scale is correct?

- Print Setup , Plot Scale is 1:1?

If plotting from modelspace:

- Print Setup , Plot Scale is correct?

I am not an expert in this field, sorry

all i do is that i draw in model space and prepare it for printing in layout page, using model view ''mv''. When i print from there i get print properties there i select window to select my drawing and then it says it is scaled to 1:1 or i can fit it to paper. But in both cases i don't get it right.

For example 10000 mm does not give me 10 cm or what ever when i measure it with ruler. It tends to be 8 cm on the printed paper.

I am sorry if i confuse you but as i said i am just a beginner and need to submit my Course work professionally

Thanks

I do understand that drawings should be done in 1:1 in model space. You want a 10,000 units lines to represent 10,000 mm. The UNITS should be set to mm. hence 1 unit 1 mm.

You click on layout tab and then right click the layout tab and click on "Page Setup Manager" to have the Page Setup Manager Dialog Box wherein you define the name of the printer, the page size and the page orientation among others. The Plot Scale is to be 1:1. Hence drawing in model space is 1:1 and the plot scale is also 1:1.

Now you want a 10,000 mm. lines to be represented by 1 cm or 10mm. or a scale of 1:1000 where 1mm represent 1000mm. and 10mm. or 1 cm. will of course represent 10,000 mm.

You create a viewport using VIEW -> VIEWPORTS -> 1 VIEWPORT if you have but one simple view of the model drawing to print. If you have more at the same or different scale, you can enter the VIEWPORT dialog box by opening NAMED VIEWSPORTS... instead of 1 VIEWPORT.

At the prompt : "Specify corner of viewport... " just press ENTER for FIT.

You will have a viewport presenting a default view of the model drawing in paper space. You double click inside the viewport to bring you to the model space from within the paper space to PAN/VIEW to the view that you want to be shown in the viewport. Following which, you can use PSPACE or double click outside the viewport to bring you back to paper space. To scale the drawing to 1:1000, you right click the border of the viewport and properties or select the border, type properties or CTRL+1, and then scroll down to misc >>> custom scale and you enter 0.001. To make things easier, you can include a 1:1000 scale in the scale list and easily select it in standard scale.

Of course, there are more to it.

You can set the border to defpoints or to a non-printable layer if you don't want the viewport layer to be printed.

In a nutshell:

1:1 in model space and the layout.

you must set the layout printer, paper size and orientation and 1:1 scale. the scale 1:1000 is applied to the viewport only.

Hope this help.

Nic.

First choose your units. Then draw 1-1. At end go to your viewport and switch scale to wahtever you want. Make sure printer properties is 1-1 autocad does the rest.

Dear Nicolas,

Thank you so much to be so kind to me, i used to follow same procedure to print by viewport, but didn't scale it on the particular viewport border. It tended to be scaled very strange scale.

but unfortunately now i cannot fit the layout to paper in print properties, which results in missing the outer border line of my dawing. i think it should be like that , because if i select fit to paper it will change the print scale again. Maybe i should leave it like that.

I have one more issue, if i want to write notes about my drawing (e.g. Section sizes et.)should i do it in model space or directly in viewport space (layout i mean)? because i dont know if that would cause my building to be smaller.

I want to use the extra free space next to my name details for information about my drawing (E.g. section types et). If you have any advices please let me know.

I have attached my file so hope this will explain it, although i had to delete some of my drawings to minimise the file size for uploading.

Thanks once more for the advice and hope i dont confuse you or bother you.

Regards

Alan

Scheme 1.dwg

If plotting from paperspace:

- Viewport scale is correct?

- Print Setup , Plot Scale is 1:1?

If plotting from modelspace:

- Print Setup , Plot Scale is correct?

Thank you qball and bjenk8100, i think i have found out the problem, if you have any advise for my second issue i am facing, please let me know

regards

Alan

i used to follow same procedure to print by viewport, but didn't scale it on the particular viewport border. It tended to be scaled very strange scale.

I looked at your file and when I pulled up the Properties of the viewport, your Standard Scales weren't correct. The row highlighted should read 1:100 (or whatever desired scale is)

but unfortunately now i cannot fit the layout to paper in print properties, which results in missing the outer border line of my dawing.

In your print dialog box under the header Printer / Plotter click Properties (of the .pc3 file) then Modify Standard Paper Sizes (Printable Area). CHange the margins to 0, then it will print everything.

I have one more issue, if i want to write notes about my drawing (e.g. Section sizes et.)should i do it in model space or directly in viewport space (layout i mean)? because i dont know if that would cause my building to be smaller.

I use annotative text in Model space but some people use text in Layout / Paperspace

scale.jpg

Hi,

I believe that annotating in model/paper space is matter to your discretion and your overall needs. Following setting your page i.e name of printer, page size and orientation, scale 1:1. You should see that you have a dimension style that follow closely the predefined sizes proposed by autocad. That's your dimension style 1:1. This is the very dimension style that you will apply to paper space if you do dimension therein.

Model Space printout is altogether different. The first thing to do is to draw your paper with margin. For example: a rectangle of 297 x 210 for landscape a4 paper size with offset 7 for a scale of 1:1. As you draw real size in model, you will need to scale that rectangle to meet your need. If you gonna draw in 1:3, you will need to scale the rectangle up by 3. The dimension style 1:1 will not do justice to your drawing. Hence you create a dimension_1_3 (for example) style based on dimension_1_1 you already defined and in the dimension dialog box you go to the 'fit' tab and in "use overall scale of", you enter 3. The text size, the arrow... everything will be multiplied by 3. If you gonna print in 1:100 and your drawing fit perfectly such a scale, you create a rectangular sheet 297x210 (given the paper is a4, landscape) and scale it to 100 and then the dimension style to be applied will have a scale of 100.

Some notes:

------------

1. The dimension text size for 1:1 is normally 2-3.

2. use alias d to access dimension style dialog box

3. create romans text style with font being romans and size set to 0

(the size of the text in any style should be 0 else you won't be able to change it)

if you annotate/dimension or generally work in paper layout it is good to know how to use:

1. dimreassociate or alias dre to re-associate dimension with the object

2. -p to pan by point within viewports

3. pspace or create an alias for it in alias edit to easily come out of viewport

4. ctrl+R to move from one viewport to the next

Hope this help.

Regarding your drawings, I see that you have stated the drawing have a scale of 1:1. The paper size is real in paper space and is to be printed in 1:1 but the drawing itself is scale to fit that paper space and hence you need to apply a scale to the viewport, say a standard scale of 1:100 for the plan. You may need to adjust the annotation in model to fit such a scale.

Regards,

Nicolas

Your title block text and notes should all be in your layout and not in model space IMHO. It's so much easier since you don't have to deal with annotative scaling. In the end however it's really all up to you.

Dear all,

i do appreciate you helpful advises and supports, at the moment i am busy with my drawings to complete them. I will try to scale it once i print them.

Thank you so much

Dear all,

Please please please ... Just explain me how to create my title block as A4. i just cant waste more time with trying to print my work nicely on A4 page with my drawing fitted inside and some details for my drawing.

Please just tell my in steps how to create a title block as A4 and print it nicely ... I sound very stupid but i am just very stressed with other works and want to save some time. otherwise i wouldn't ask so much.

Regards

Alan Mardan

To make it visually easy to understand draw a rectangle representing the size of your sheet. I'm pulling these numbers off the top of my head but wouldn't that be 210mm x 297mm? Then inside this rectangle draw one that would represent your border and make sure it is centered within the first rectangle. Make this "frame" size roughly 180mm x 267mm.

Your title block should have been draw to full size when you designed it right? You did not scale it right?

Using the Insert command insert your title block into this "master" sheet.

You do all of the above in a layout. You are using a layout aren't you? And you'll be using a viewport to see the objects you drew back in model space right?

Dear Remark,

I do the same way: i create a rectangle in layout (297*210), then offset it with 5mm to represent my viewport and finally draw my title block at the lower right corner of the inner rectangle. After that, i create a viewport by typing command ''MV'' or ''viewports'', selecting the upper left corner of the inner rectangle and pull it down to the top of my title block.

Zoom my specific drawing which i want to be viewd >pspace> furthermore i select the viewport border > properties > scale it to 0.001 as 1:100. this is how i do it

but i think my problem is that my plan view is too big to be scaled as 1:100 on an A4 sheet.

I might have to use A3 for that particular plan drawing.

Is there any standard title block provided by outocad itself? or do we have to create our own one?

Regards

Alan

Edited by alan_mardan
attachment

You had planned on using an A4 sheet size so why not stick with it? Just change the scale of your viewport to something else. How about 1:200?

AutoCAD does not supply standard or generic title blocks although, in the past, some of their templates did have title blocks included. It's not that difficult to create one but I thought you already had one to begin with. What happened?

By the way, what kind of drawing is this?

It is a timber and masonry building to be drawn in terms of plan and elevation view plus other structural details.

If i scale it to 1:200 it will not fit within theviewport, that is what i tried to explain you. All my drawings are fine with 1:100 on A4, apart from my plan view. If i scale it to 1:100 it will exceed the view-port border and half of the drawing disappears, and also it would be worse with a 1:200.

this is only in case of the plan view, so i might have to use an A3 plot for that particular plan view.

I wish i could attach the file but it is bigger than the limit

regards

alan

I have uploaded the drawing after minimising the file size buy deleting some lines.

I have created in layout 1 A3 for my plan view and 1 A4 for the same plan view. the A3 is fine with a 1:100 scale, but check the A4 where the same plan view doesn't fit in the viewport.

But if i want to fit it within my A4 viewport border, then the minimum scale which works is 1:80 or 0.008.

note that the title block is created by me according to paper standards.

I would like to email you my work, so for next time i won't need to reduce the size by deleting things.

thanks

for upload.dwg