Problem with scaling

alan_mardan

OK I looked at your drawing and I have to tell you to stop...immediately!

The plan view and all elevations each should have their own separate layout. They should not all be shown in Layout1 as a group.

Why did you do it this way?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alan_mardan

• ReMark

• qball

• nicolas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was told by a class mate to do it in that way,

as i explained previously, i am just a beginner and do not have any experience.

Do you mean that i should create a layout for each view? would that solve the problem and how?

would you please be able to create one example of my drawing with right scale?

I am so sorry to bother you so much

regards

You should have a layout for your plan view, and a layout for each elevation or pair of elevations, another for your details, roof plan, foundation plan, etc.

Would it solve the problem? That I cannot say at the moment.

I'll see what I can do with your drawing but it won't happen immediately. I have some of my own work to do unless you want to swap assignments. I need to pipe up a fractionation system. Like to trade jobs for the next several hours?

It must be your lucky day.

I created a new layer called Vports (for the viewports).

I got rid of all the extraneous "stuff" you had in your layout.

I created three new layouts (Plan, Structural and Elevations).

I assigned each viewport what I believe would be the scale of 1:50 but since this isn't on the normal scalelist (I was too lazy to add it) you'll see them listed as having a scale of 0.005.

Each viewport display has been LOCKED so it cannot be messed up.

Finally, I purged the drawing to get rid of more useless "stuff".

The drawing has been saved in 2007 file format so you should have no problem opening it.

This is an example of what you can do. You may decide the scale is too small. If you do you'll have to go to the next larger sheet size so you can increase the scale. Got all that?

Good luck and happy cadding. Have fun.

ConfCenter_rev1.dwg

dear remark,

I replied the same day, but i don't know why it isn't there.

Yes i followed you procedure and managed to create my own layouts.

all of the drawings will be printed as A4, with scale 1:100, apart from the plan view as it won't fit on A4. therefore i will print that particular one on A3 (1:100 or 0.01)

i have to separate my three schemes and create a layout for each view.

I was on wrong track from the beginning but you saved me actually. i do appreciate your help very much, without your help it would've been difficult to manage the situation.

I could not use your file, because i had got rid of many other things in order to reduce the size for uploading. But followed you way and it worked.

by the way, I am doing MSc structural Engineering at Salford university in Manchester

thank you so much for every thing, i owe you a favour

Regards

Alan

You're entirely welcomed Alan. I'm glad you could make use of the example I created. I just wanted to make sure your questions were answered and you were on the right track. I hope you locked the viewport display as I suggested in each of your layouts.

I dabble a little bit in structural myself from time to time but as my hard hat states on the front of it "I'm not the engineer".

You can pay me back by your continued participation here at CADTutor and sharing your new found knowledge with others. Your "thanks" and that small favor are payment enough for me.

I tried to lock each layer but couldn't find how?

i will always try to participate as soon stress is over with uni.

Is this website yours?

regards

Alan

I tried to lock each layer but couldn't find how?

i will always try to participate as soon stress is over with uni.

Is this website yours?

regards

Alan

We are not locking any layers although that does remind me. Make sure the layer Vports (you did create a separate layer for your viewports didn't you?) is set to Not Print in your Layer Properties Manager.

What we want to lock is the viewport display. Why? Because if you enter model space through the viewport and do some panning or zooming around your "view" gets messed up. You may not realize this until you plot the drawing and then you'll wonder what AutoCAD did wrong. It didn't do anything wrong. You did, by not locking the display.

Procedure:

Click on a viewport. In your Properties window or your Quick Properties dialog box find the entry for Display Locked. Change this from "No" to "Yes". Now you cannot make any changes to the scale of the viewport until you reset this to "No". Test this out for yourself so you understand what is happening (or not happening in this case).

Yeah, I guess Uni can be stressful at times. I'm sure you are trying your best. Hang in there. Pretty soon it will be time to go home for the holidays and take a break from exercising your brain so much! LOL

Is this website mine?

Absolutely not. All the credit goes to David Watson who designed it, built it and maintains it. Take a moment and click on the About button at the top right hand corner of the screen. It's his hard work and dedication to CADTutor that really keeps things running. I'm just another forum member like yourself who came here seeking knowledge and stuck around for the wealth of information one can find here, some of the smartest AutoCAD users you'll find just about anywhere on the Internet and the friendships that one develops over time while participating in such a rich community. No more...no less.

We'll be seeing you around more often I hope. Until then...

Regards,

ReMark