Thread Help

andythewelder

Hi all

I am working on a drawing and would like to try and get my head round showing a thread, the bit that confuses me is the Break/cut on the part of the hole (showing its a thread) i have been looking on the subject and some people say the slot can be anywhere on the circumference of the circle, However the manual of engineering drawing says different. I was wondering if anyone could take a look at this and point me in the right direction.

It says the break in the inside circle distinguishes the end elevation of a male thread from a female thread

does it mean when the start of the 2 threads catch is where the slot goes or does it mean the run off angle at the end of the thread (ie 30deg)

02.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

I think you only have half the story. The way I look at it is this.....

If you have a male thread (as in your attachment) the outside diameter is made solid and the thread is cut in to it, therefore you show the outer circle solid and the inner circle with a break in it.

If you have a female thread you drill the smaller tapping hole and cut the thread into the remaining metel, therefore you show the inner circle solid and break the outer one.

So my understanding is that the break can be anywhere on the circle but you break the outer circle to show a female thread and break the inner circle to show a male thread.