Question on Surface Modeling in SolidWorks 2008

Dido

Its a spline with various construction line references. It says the sketch is fully defined but im not sure how the vertical line through the origin is defined at the top point.

Is this part of a tutorial?

Click Tools/Sketch Entities/Spline. Create a 3 point spline in graphics area. After third point right click and select end spline. You can try and dimension spline but the sketch shown looks under defined and missing dimensions. The first and last point of spline have to reference. Are you following a tutorial?

I noticed that too Matt. Are we missing something?

There must be some other geometry before the sketch that its coincident with. Some reference converted entity. Also there is no location for the upper spline point or its handle weight.

Also when you can dido you want to create splines with the minimum amount of spline points. That spline would be better with only the end points. Look at the screen shot i uploaded and the curvature combs of both. You can get a 3point spline smoother but it takes more work.

Splines.jpg

There must be some other geometry before the sketch that its coincident with. Some reference converted entity. Also there is no location for the upper spline point or its handle weight.

Also when you can dido you want to create splines with the minimum amount of spline points. That spline would be better with only the end points. Look at the screen shot i uploaded and the curvature combs of both. You can get a 3point spline smoother but it takes more work.

I agree...the two point spline looks much better. I'm curious to see if this is part of a tutorial. If so, post here.

Can you give us a little more info on why. The curve you pictured is not how I would model it so if we know what you are doing(or if you are following a tutorial) it might help us guide you in the right direction. What is your experience level with solidworks? Do you understand basic sketching principles/methods? How to construct lines and dimension them? How to apply constraints?

Have you tried the SolidWorks help menu? Go to Help/SolidWorks Help and type in creating 2d splines in search menu. Here it will explain how to create a 2d spline and show a reference video.

Can you give us a little more info on why. The curve you pictured is not how I would model it so if we know what you are doing(or if you are following a tutorial) it might help us guide you in the right direction. What is your experience level with solidworks? Do you understand basic sketching principles/methods? How to construct lines and dimension them? How to apply constraints?

Yes, I understanding how to make sketch, constructing line, dimension them, and applying constraints in SolidWorks 2008.

• 4 weeks later...

Im sorry dido but im not in the habit of downloading files. If you can give us more info, images, screen shots on why/what that curve is we can help you. Once you get to 10posts you can zip/attach files here that we can see.

shift1313

Im sorry dido but im not in the habit of downloading files. If you can give us more info, images, screen shots on why/what that curve is we can help you. Once you get to 10posts you can zip/attach files here that we can see.

That link is the compressed file (WinRAR file) of the object .sldprt I’m asking for the tutorial.

You can download it on the link I've post in my previous message. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dido, if you can upload your zip file here(once you get to 10 posts) I will look at this for you. I cant open your winrar file at work because of admin privileges needed. Also if you could let us know where the tutorial is located or the page in which this curve is described it might be easier to help you out.

Dido, if you can upload your zip file here(once you get to 10 posts) I will look at this for you. I cant open your winrar file at work because of admin privileges needed. Also if you could let us know where the tutorial is located or the page in which this curve is described it might be easier to help you out.

It supposed to be on below link:

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/807_ENU_HTML.htm

It seems that the training file for SolidWorks 2008 has been not exist again.

The only still exist are the training file for SolidWorks 2009, 2010, 2011.

If I assume all of the training materials are same, only the version of the SolidWorks is different, then it should within the "Advanced Part Modeling", lesson01 folder.