lateral offset of pipe tee (Maths problem really (sorry Cadtutor!))

Doove

Hi

I've tried doing this in autocad and inventor but have admitted to myself that I need to do the maths to prove it doesn't work.

I have an existing DN250 (10" across the water) pipe with an equal branch that has been fabricated 100mm out of place laterally. I have been asked whether we can crank the pipe branch as a work around. I think no as I've tried to draw it and can't get it to work. However I'd like to work out a generic formula to prove what will work and what won't. Below is a diagram of the problem. On the right is the geometrical diagram of the generic maths problem, on the left are my measurements for this particular problem. What I want to do is get dimensions A, B and x and tell whether the the crank is possible. It will only be possible if the perpendicular measurement of the central parallelogram is equal to x, or am I getting myself confused?

I work out the minor angle of the triangles as theta/2, and as the tan of that angle is also h/x then I get h = ax/2b, but I'm not sure if this helps me! :shock::?:oops::cry:

I've got myself really confused here and could do with some fresh eyes on it! I'm not looking for someone to do the work but to give me a clue!

cheers

Doove

LATERAL OFFSET OF TEE (PIPE CRANK) PROBLEM.jpg

I assume you're trying to do it with miter joints because elbow are definitely not going to work, correct?

Basically, you need to figure the angle from the left edge (O.D) of the flange, to the right OD of the tee face, and your miter joint(s) can be no more than half that angle. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite look like you can get it unless your tolerances for mis-fit are pretty big. The formula to figure the maximum "crank" isn't that difficult, but I'm short on time right now, I'll illustrate when I get back if no one else gets to it before me.