how to match/change the global properties to match an object

Hi Folks,

I have gone backward to 2008 due to a change in the company i work for. I thought there was a button / command in 2008 where you could inherit the properties of an object, and make them the "global setting".

i.e. match properties of an object (line weight, layer, style, colour), but make them the current setting for the next thing you draw. (hope that makes sense)

The match properties setting only seems to allow me to copy the properties of an object over to another object.

Any ideas ?

Vic

There is a button on the "Layers" toolbar that will allow you to make an objects layer current, thus giving you all the properties you mentioned for the next thing you draw. You can also call it from the command line with the LAYMCUR command.

Thanks for replying.

I know about that commmand, was just hoping there was a command to match all the other properties, save me having to keep noting and changing them all the time.

Maybe i dont actaully recall the command at all, was more likely something i wished autocad could do :)

Thanks anyway

"I know about that commmand, was just hoping there was a command to match all the other properties, save me having to keep noting and changing them all the time."

If you change layers and in doing so assume all the properties that go with that layer what else do you have to match?

MATCHPROP does everything but change layers. But I guess this isn't the command you are looking for either. You want MATCHPROP with LAYMCUR is that it?

If we assume that everything is done ByLayer (color, Lineweight, linetype) then LAYMCUR is all you should need.

If we don't assume ByLayer (which really is not a Good Idea) then it its trickier...

Hi folks,

sorry for the delay in replying, been on a course.

MATCHPROP is kind of just what i want, but i dont want it to match properities from one object to another, i want to make the object properties current, if that makes sense. SO that teh next thing i draw, wil be in the same colour, line type, line width.

The drawing is drawn on different layers, but on certain layers the colours and line types need to be different whilst remaining on the same layer. Not the best way of doing things, i agree, but for the foreseeable future, i'm stuck with it.

However, i guessing from your replies, that there prob isnt a soloution, so am just going to have to keep chaning it manually

Thanks anyway, much appreciated as always

So even if the object's properties are wrong for the layer it is drawn on you still want to replicate the properties in the next object you draw. Is that correct?

So even if the object's properties are wrong for the layer it is drawn on you still want to replicate the properties in the next object you draw. Is that correct?

He did not say that it is wrong, just that sometimes an object is not done with everything ByLayer and the next drawn object should be the same.

While you and I (and from the sound of it the OP as well) don't think that this is the way it should be done, it sounds like OP is stuck with doing it this way.

And Vickilb, barring a lisp or a macro to do what you need, I think you are stuck with manually changing the settings.

ah well, thought that was probably the case, just seemed worth an ask !

(always a challenge adopting someone elses drawing stock ! - i somehow think you may hear more from me in these forums in the future, so will try and give something back as well)

Thanks again guys :)

oh and ReMark, they are all on the right layers, but with varying properties on the same layer :oops:...... i know, i know, but what can you do when you have inherrited a backlog of thousands of drawings all the same, that only need amendments