How to draw slanting braces?

stpmmaths

How to draw those slanting braces? I tried drawing Circle and Extrude(Path) but it is no longer circle along the braces :(

Edited by stpmmaths

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stpmmaths

• ReMark

• fuccaro

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could draw all the centerlines then use the SWEEP command to sweep circles along each path.

Wow! I never learn Sweep before. Thanks thanks :D

It looks like Extrude(Path) but not really same though :wink:

Now that you learned Sweep how about posting the result?

Here's my rough approximation of your tubular frameworks:

[ATTACH]24383[/ATTACH

Tubular frame.jpg

I just googled PressPull, Wow! Great tool :)

Now I'm facing another problem with the braces. FYI, those are hollow braces. I made 2 circles in each braces and used the Sweep. But when I used the Union tool to union those braces with the chords, those braces became solid! If I Union the outer surface of the braces, the inner cylinder is still attach inside my Chord. How to make it Hollow braces?

I found a way, that is by drawing another chord which overlap the previous Unioned chord. Using that new chord, I union with the inner surface. But that is rather unprofessional :ouch:

To create a hollow brace you could subtract one cylinder (the smaller one) from the other (the larger one). There are a couple of other ways you could do it too. Example:

Hollow brace 1.jpg

Another option is to use PressPull. From AutoCAD Text window:

Command: _presspull

Click inside bounded areas to press or pull. At this prompt you would pick inside the two circles then pull it in the direction you want to go.

1 loop extracted.

1 Region created.

1 loop extracted.

1 Region created.

Select solids, surfaces, and regions to subtract from ..

Subtracting inner regions...

Example using the PressPull command. No need for the user to do the subtraction as AutoCAD handles the task.

Hollow brace 2.jpg

The other option is to use the REGION command.

Both 2D circles would be selected. AutoCAD will tell you it extracted two loops and created two regions. Then you subtract the smaller inner circle from the larger outer circle (just like subtracting one solid from the other) then you Extrude it. Not really the best option of the three although the end result is the same as the two previous options.

ReMark, you are the best! I will try it now, thanks!

Forget the flattery just send food!

Just kidding.

Thank you for your kind words and...you're entirely welcomed.

How to show the dashed line at the centre of the cylinder?

And, if I were to duplicate the exact image as the image above in AutoCAD, I will be facing problem with annotation. By using viewports, the Annotation will be on a single face only. Unless I copy the same model few times and rotate them to the view(End-view, Front-elevation etc.). Or is there another way?

Edited by stpmmaths

Re: blanked off flange. You could use a command like Solprof or the combination of Solview/Soldraw or maybe even Flatshot (not 100% sure about this one).

Re: annotation. Depends on whether you want to put all dimensions and text in model space or in your layout. Each has its advantageous and disadvantages. If you put them in model space you might want to consider using annotative scaling.

You know everything there is to know about all these commands and features right?

If you do a search of this site you'll find that all the topics have been discussed before. Search on:

Solprof

Solview

Soldraw

Flatshot

Annotative scaling

Also check out section plane.

You can consult your AutoCAD Help files for further information and/or click on the Links button and scroll through the list of other websites that offer help, information and tutorials.

Unfortunately I am going to be unavailable for a day or so as I am donating my services to renovate a house for an elderly woman. But I'll try to check in at some point to see how you are doing. Don't forget that there are many other knowledgeable, friendly and talented people here at CT to help you as well so keep posting your questions. Don't give up. I have complete faith in you.

See ya.

Bye.

I manage to create 2 view using Solview and Soldraw commands,

But I have no idea how to show center lines in those cylinders. Any help?

Edited by stpmmaths