Lagging

gigi11

I'd bet my morning donut that the choke point is the "graphics processing unit" then. All the ram' date=' harddrive and processor in the world won't make up for a lightweight graphics card. Remember my "neck of the bottle" analogy? Only so much will flow through it at a time. I could be wrong, but I really think that's where the problem is.[/quote']

I thought so too, I thought I bought a laptop with a bad graphics card. But how is that possible, it's a brand new laptop with great specs and I did some research on the graphics card also. I have other programs also that require good graphics card and they work well. It's only AutoCAD that gives me these problems.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gigi11

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• nestly

It's not that you got a "bad" graphics card. It's just that compared to programs like Excel or Word, AutoCAD is an altogether different beast which makes increased demands on your system.

Re: "Purged"

Type PURGE at the Command line. The "Purge" dialog box will allow you to deleted everything from the drawing that's not being used ( blocks, linetypes, dimension styles, layers, etc.)

I thought so too, I thought I bought a laptop with a bad graphics card. But how is that possible, it's a brand new laptop with great specs and I did some research on the graphics card also. I have other programs also that require good graphics card and they work well. It's only AutoCAD that gives me these problems.

I'm sorry, I don't want it to sound like I'm picking on you or your computer. In fact, I wouldn't mind having one like it myself after looking at the specs.

Its not that your graphics card is bad or defective in anyway, just not robust enough for intense graphics applications. The processor and ram are great, and for spreadsheets and word processing applications, surfing the net and even some photo editing, I'm sure the graphics capabilities are fine. To give you an example, (and I know that I'm not comparing apples with apples here, but bear with me) the card in my desktop is nearly half the size of the motherboard and has 2 fans and heatsinks on it as big as the one on the main processor. Consequently it consumes more power and I had to upgrade the power supply when I put this card in.

The average consumer that walked in off the street and bought the same laptop you have would never see what you are experiencing. You can have a spreadsheet going with thousands of calculations and never notice, because in reality there's not much going on on the screen. In AutoCAD, nearly everything is going on on the screen.

That's why you see "gaming computers" segregated out from the others in a lot of stores. They get the higher end hardware that for 90 percent of computer users would be overkill. Same for cad...it puts a much bigger workload on the video portion of the machine.

Edited by Jack_O'neill

Jack,

Looking at the OP's original post (OP OP) I doubt this is a GPU issue. They are having trouble with a simple line command along with other basic commands. The OP should go through everything listed in the Speed Up AutoCAD.pdf file posted in these forums to eliminate some of the more obvious. Until they have gone through that and tried everything we will just be guessing, with little valuable feed back from the OP.

I've kind of skipped to the end of this topic, but has the OP adjusted the hardware acceleration settings in AutoCAD? (I don't know if these work the same as in AutoCAD 2010, but I had some laggy areas in CAD), turned out that fiddling with the hardware acceleration settings solved this for me

I've kind of skipped to the end of this topic, but has the OP adjusted the hardware acceleration settings in AutoCAD? (I don't know if these work the same as in AutoCAD 2010, but I had some laggy areas in CAD), turned out that fiddling with the hardware acceleration settings solved this for me

Various replies have suggested twiddling with just about every setting anyone could think of. Someone mentioned early on that laptops and AutoCAD are not usually a good mix. I've never tried using a laptop for cad but that may be the problem. It would be interesting to know if the problem got solved or continues.

Laptops are widely used to run AutoDesk products on. The college my daughter attends requires all architectural landscape students to purchase a laptop for their class and the specs for these laptops differ widely (more robust) from those recommended for the rest of the student body. Obviously they are aware of the demands a CAD application puts on a computer. One of the differences is a dedicated graphics card.

try this

autocad lags for me too,

ahm ok so activate the hidden administrator account on windows 7 64 bit

after you activate it restart your computer and log in to the administrator account

do not run anything let the computer fully load everything and open a drawing file you can browse through folders just dont start internet explorer or anything else until autocad is fully loaded

it worked for me and ive managed to build a 2.8 mb file this way

when it starts lagging again i just save, restart and log on to admin account again

my specs are

4gb ram

500 gb internal hd

500 gb hp simple save ext hd

1gb Ati radeon mobility 5600/5700 series

1600x900 native resolution

Intel Core i7 720Qm

MY ONLY PROBLEM NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO SOLVE

IS when i render my cpu

STAYS SOLID AT 1.73 GHZ

and it never clocks to its max frequency or above 1.73 which causes my renderings to take up to 30 minutes on 800x600 and sometimes an hour on presentation setting on 1600x900 at 5 quality level

• 2 years later...

I have a core i7 2nd generation desktop with 8gb ram and dedicated video card, and autocad 2011 also lags.. when i use 2007 it doesnt lag

get rid of Norton if you haven't already. properly rid if you can.

turn off your wireless for a CAD session and see if that helps...maybe a lot of background stuff going on like windows updates etc

i have a brand new core i5vpro laptop (Win7). i don't run autocad on it, only dwgview, but my 6 yr old athlon based PC (xp) will load dwgviwer mebbe twice as fast as the laptop.

get rid of Norton if you haven't already. properly rid if you can.

turn off your wireless for a CAD session and see if that helps...maybe a lot of background stuff going on like windows updates etc

i have a brand new core i5vpro laptop (Win7). i don't run autocad on it, only dwgview, but my 6 yr old athlon based PC (xp) will load dwgviwer mebbe twice as fast as the laptop.

no need for all this.. just enable hardware acceleration and you're good to go! :)