How to draw an arc in AutoCAD so that it looks smoother in Illustrator? And more...

tajanat

Hi, everybody!

I am drawing my plans in AutoCAD 2006. After finishing one plan, I open it in Adobe Illustrator CS3.

Before opening in Adobe Illustrator, I flatten all splines to polylines. Also I don`t have single arcs but polylines consisted of lines and arcs.

But in Illustrator this arcs from polylines are not smooth.

Arc becomes fractured in few segments whit corners.

I notticed that spline converted to polyline looks much better. So I tried to convert arc to spline:

I pedited arc to polyline. Then I converted this polyline to spline ( http://www.ehow.com/how_6529003_autocad-convert-2d-polyline-spline.html ) and after that flattened spline back to polyline. But in Illustrator it looked almost the same as previous arc.

I also try to draw arc whit spline.

I used both dots and tangents to get a perfect spline, but it also did not look much better in Illustrator.

So I am interested if anyone knows how to draw an arc in AutoCAD so that it looks smoother in Illustrator?

I know about the option "Object-> Path-> Simplify" in Illustrator and it smoothens my arc a lot, but I woud like to have a perfect arc from AutoCAD because I don`t have time to go from one arc to another in Illustrator and Simplify it...

I also tried to achieve that over a PDF file. I transferred PDF, created in Autocad using PDF Page maker plugin, into Illustrator. And arc looked tottaly smooth. But I lost my layers. I didn`t find out how to open an Autocad generated layered PDF in Illustrator and retain the PDF`s layer structure. I converted my AutoCAD file to layered PDF. But in Adobe Illustrator, all layers became merged in one layer.

I heard that PDF layers are conceptually very different than Illustrator layers. But still I wonder if there is plugin that could read PDF layers in Illustrator?

Opening AutoCAD file in Illustrator brought me also problem with Mtext.

Every Mtext splits in single-lined text, so I can not adjust paragraphs.

I found script for Adobe Illustrator called "join text frames" http://vectips.com/tricks/10-free-an...rator-scripts/

It binds broken text frames perfectly. But it means that I have to jump from one group of text to another and repeat this action as many times as many groups of text I have. And sometimes it lasts to long.

So I would rather to open mtext proper in Illustrator. Does anyone know how to modify settings in AutoCAD to keep Mtext during opening in Illustrator?

I wonder if this problem disappears with newer versions of Adobe Illustrator - CS4 and CS5!?

Thank you all in advance!