Extruding faces on a 3D solid question.

Cerberus

Is it possible to extrude a face on a 3D solid to create an entirely seperate solid?

When you use the solid modelling extrude command, then pick a face tio extrude, it just "extends" that solid. I seem to remember, there was a method of creating seperate solids using this command but I cannot remember how to do it. Can enyone refresh my memory?

When i need to do this, i use the "copy face" command first (found in the solid editing tool bar), and then extrude it. This will create 2 seperate solids.

I usually use the copy face tool first but I seem to remember there was a method of creating a separate solid using just the extrude command. As this is something I do on a regular basis, I was looking for a way to streamline the process. The only other method I can see is to run up some sort of lisp routine to combine the two commands in some way.

I’ve worked it out.:D

I edited the macro on the solid edit tool bar to read just ^C^C_extrude, instead of ^C^C_solidedit _face _extrude. Now, if I hold Ctrl as I pick the required face, the command creates an entirely separate solid rather than just adding to the original. So I now only need one command instead of two.

Try typing _extrude on the command line and see what I mean.8)

Oops. :unsure: Quick back pedal. Don't alter your solidedit extrude macro. Just use the standard extrude command from your modelling toolbar but hold Ctrl as you pic. Doing this enables you to pick faces on solids as well as regions, polylines etc.