Dimensioning in Paperspace - What do you do?

bbankston

I have a problem and hopefully you guys and gals have a solution.

Problem:

I draw everything in MS and dim in PS. When I make changes to drawings later sometimes I'll miss that the dims did not move with the drawing. Or I'll remove something and forget to delete the dim line that went with. Or the dim will snap close to where I want it to be but not exactly where it needs to be. What's your standard practice when dealing with dims/changes? I need to discipline myself better but I have no one at work that I can bounce this off of.

Thank you CADTutor folks,

Brandon "Always Semi-Awesome" Bankston

Make your work easy on yourself, ASA... dimension in Model space, that way, you identify the dimension as you locate the vicinity of your changes.

As a personal example:

I do my line work in what we call 'master files'... one each for plan, profile, cross-section, etc. Then I create my plan sheets, which have the appropriate 'masters' XREFed into my sheet, and all of my labeling is added to the sheet area being shown (in model space). I use my project's scale (i.e., DIMSCALE=Drawing Scale), to set my dimension sizes, and from paper space, everything looks perfect.

Hope this helps!

RenderMan,

I have plans, elevations and section cuts all at different scales in PS (I try to go 1:2 for section cuts if it'll fit on the page). Would that mean that I'd got Annotative with my dims? I've never touched the stuff, yet. And I thought it was good practice to dimension in PS. What gives?

I have plans, elevations and section cuts all at different scales in PS (I try to go 1:2 for section cuts if it'll fit on the page). Would that mean that I'd got Annotative with my dims? I've never touched the stuff, yet. And I thought it was good practice to dimension in PS. What gives?

I do not (yet) use annotative dimensions either, simply my dimension style is set to be a scale factor of the current DIMSCALE. Within my Dimension style, I have my text height set to 0.00, so that the DIMSCALE controls the text height, etc.

For example, my medium text size is 0.06 (multiplied by the DIMSCALE). So for a 40 scale drawing (1"=40'), my text size is 2.4 units.

As for the rest:

To dimension in model space, or not to dimension in model space, that is the question. In my industry, let alone my employer standards... dimensioning within model space is the standard. If your industry is different, do that.

I'm just telling you that if it is your choice, and you choose to do some work in one space, and some other work in the other (and keep forgetting to go back and check), then your setting yourself up for failure, unnecessarily.

Good luck!

I'll take your suggestions to task, RenderMan, and see where it leads me. Seems to me that I'd hide the Dims layer until it's time to plot, yes? Too much clutter otherwise.

I too place all text and dimensions in my layout (paper space) and not in model space. Can't say I've ever had any reoccurring problems. As a matter of fact I just finished a design today for stiffening a rotten out C6 column done in 3D, converted to 2D using Solview/Soldraw and all text, dimensions and notes are sitting pretty in paper space along with my titleblock and border. I'm using two different scales over eight viewports.