Design Library

Scoobydoo

I have a few questions about SW:

1. I have been using SW off & on since 2009 (more off than on:cry:), and if I store my current library within the Design Library, will I lose it completely if SW has to be uninstalled & reinstalled for any reason? Or can I just add a folder and path it to the library that I currently have on my hard-drive (which is completely separate from where the default Design Library is located).

2. I am beginning to dive into Routing quit a bit and I am a little confused about the connection points. Are these created in an assembly only (and not in a part)?

Thanks!

Scooby, im not sure what you are adding to the feature library but you can make your own folders and add them to the library. You do have to designate the folders as part of the feature library and there is a reference to this in the SW help menu. I know(for example) you can add your own forming tools folder separate from the standard ones but you have to designate that folder as such. I dont know about your question with the deinstal.. To be safe i would have backup copies of your stuff made before de-install.

Routing as far as i know has to be done in an assembly. Your routing paths and connection points will be their own part essentially. Once you create a route and populate it with a wire or whatever you can look in the feature tree to see how the parent/child setup is laid out. Do you use the routing wizard or are you setting things up without its help? What type of routing are you doing? Cable/tube routing or more pipe work?

Thanks Shift1313 for replying. I have quite a library set up now, but it is not within the Design Library. However, I was just reading in the Help menu that I can add my current library into the Design Library and if for some reason SW has to be removed and reinstalled, the reference to the file location is removed but not the folder itself, so that would answer my question. Now in Routing, everything that we do is electrical, so 95% of the wire/conductor size that we use is #1/0, #4/0, 500 kCMIL, and 1000 kCMIL. I might show PVC conduit stub-ups, but not long conduit runs. With Routing, I was trying to set things up without the wizard, but I will try using that to see if that helps me at all.

Again, I am fairly new to using SW, and have been stuck in 2D AutoCAD for 18 years now, so I am assuming that some of my habits have been carried over to the SW world. I am the only person at our company that is using SW, so I have nobody to ask questions too or to get help when trying to do something (which is why I lean on this website!) I have attended the SW Essentials, SW Advanced Modeling, SW Routing classes, but still stumble when it comes to doing certain things in SW. I just recently finished a 1 day course on Routing, but have soooo many questions now since I am using it more!

There is a solidworks forum that you can join if you have an active subscription. If not you can still view the forums. There are sub categories for everything(sketching, solids, surfaces) and there is one for routing. A lot of your questions(that you come upon) have probably been asked and answered so it may be a good reference for you.

https://forum.solidworks.com/community/solidworks-add-ins/routing