"Quirk" in changing a polylines' length

eklektikus

In the past, if I needed to increase a polyline's length I would grap a grip and give it a pull, watching the dynamic input (I think) box for the length that the polyline was changing to. One day, I "noticed" that if I grabbed the grip, extended it past the original location, and then typed in what I wanted to add to the length of the polyline and hit "Enter", it would extend the line that amount. In new drawings that I have started since then, I cannot do this. Now, if I draw a 4" polyline, then grab the right hand grip, extend it a bit past the original point and type in 1, it shortens the line to 1" as opposed to extending it to a new length of 5". I have no idea why I was able do it before, but not now. Anyone care to enlighten me as to what switch I have thrown or may throw to retrieve this capability? Thank you.

hi,

Do you have the object snap mode ´extension´ activated? if so you can grap the last grip and add the value that you want the line to be extended. It works without dynamic input. I hope it helped

You can change it in dynamic input settings. Or you can let them both on, and move to other fields by pressing TAB.

resulting_dimension_or_length_change.png

In the past, if I needed to increase a polyline's length I would grap a grip and give it a pull, watching the dynamic input (I think) box for the length that the polyline was changing to. One day, I "noticed" that if I grabbed the grip, extended it past the original location, and then typed in what I wanted to add to the length of the polyline and hit "Enter", it would extend the line that amount. In new drawings that I have started since then, I cannot do this. Now, if I draw a 4" polyline, then grab the right hand grip, extend it a bit past the original point and type in 1, it shortens the line to 1" as opposed to extending it to a new length of 5". I have no idea why I was able do it before, but not now. Anyone care to enlighten me as to what switch I have thrown or may throw to retrieve this capability? Thank you.

Rob and Edwin, thank you for your replies. At first, when I tried your suggestions I was experiencing the same results; i.e., it wasn't working in the manner that I remembered. When I typed in a length to add to the line, the line went to that length and not as an extension to the original. But then I started looking closer at Edwin's comment and the Dimension Input Settings window. The "Press Tab to switch to the next dimension input field" comment sparked the curiosity. If I grab a grip of a polyline, a "box" between the grips indicates the existing line length and if I start to drag that grip the new length will be indicated in the box. If I hit Tab while holding that grip with my cursor a different box will highlight with the angle of the line. And the second time I hit Tab, a box is highlighted with just the length of the extension. At that point, if I type in the desired extension length it will add it to the original line. And that was the desired effect! However, I am quite sure that I was not having to jump through that many hoops to obtain the desired results. Is there a setting that allows the "extension indication" box (or Length Change) to be the first box highlighted as opposed to the "overall dimension box" (or Resulting Dimension)?

Haha! This gets crazier the farther I delve into it! I located one of the previous drawings that allowed me to add extensions to a polylines length by direct keyboard input and compared the settings with one that was not allowing that technique. In the one that was allowing this function, Dimension Input Settings are set to the manner shown in Edwin's posting but the default highlighted value is the Extension Length. In a drawing that is not allowing this function, Dimension Input Settings are set in the same manner but the default highlighted value is the Resulting Dimension, thereby requiring a TAB > TAB sequence to obtain the Extension Length value. Why would one drawing default at a different field than the other drawing?

I don't know why the default highlighted value can be different. If you never use resulting dimension, why not turn it off? You will get the length change by default.

Edwin, (and you too, Rob) thank you for your input on this matter. Now that I have a bit more knowledge I can only become a bit more dangerous. I will continue to try to sort out why the defaulted highlighted field within the different drawings are different, but in the mean time I at least have the working knowledge to stumble my way through it (and even play with it). Thanks again.

• 6 months later...

Working in AutoCAD Architecture 2012 and I was having the same problem. Found it was a similar problem on another computer running AutoCAD LT 2012. I typically did not work with dynamic input turned on. When trying to change the position of the vertex by typing in a distance from the previous distance, it would change the length of the line to the dimension that I typed. Found out it was related to the "perpendicular" Osnap. Turned that off (made sure "extensions" was turned on) and it worked just fine.

• 3 years later...

I often use this method to extend or shorten the length of a line and have encountered the same problem that the OP describes. It is rare for me and it seems to be a random and temporary glitch (in my experience at least).

I did think it was something to do with my osnaps as I often dragged the grip back along the line and entered a minus value to ensure the line would extend along the same direction, not sure if it was the osnaps that caused it though.

Now I tend to use the LEN (LENGTH) command with either the DE or T modifiers.

DELTA - extends line by 'n' each click).

TOTAL - sets length of line to 'n'.