Round window

zionshea

Hello all,

I have a round wall - created from a polyline with the extrude command and convert to > wall command.

I want to add a CIRCLE window to that circle wall but, instead, a straight windows is generated and is positioned beside the wall.

I noticed that the window is generated along the start and end base point of the wall (base points are required to be specified when the extruded solid is converted to wall).

Thanks for your support.

• 4 weeks later...

Round in Round.jpg

Hello Zionshea!

Maybe you have solved this already, anyway you have to make sure that the base points asked when you convert to wall are correct. I tried it and made a line first were I could get the points from when converting. Then I put a "normal" window in the wall and changed it to round shape. Works fine for me!

See attached image.

//Tobias

Hi Tobias (Ringis),

I just created a round wall and used an arc as the base points.

still same result with the window. Please see the attached file.

Please explain what screen/parameter do you use to change to "round shape".

Also do you know, how can I craete a glass wall?

stam.GIF

Sorry Zionshea, I miss understood your round wall. I have never had any problems with these "arc" walls and windows. I´ll be back, I will give it a try!

Yes, and for your window in the arc wall. Because a normal window does not work so "good" in arc walls, just as in reality. You have to split a big window in to smaller pieces, depending on your radius of the arc. What are the measurements of the wall and what size on the window,? And what do you mean with glass wall? I guess th easiest way is to change the material on the wall to glass.

Curtainwalls can be changed in a lot of ways, spacing of divisions, frame size, infills with different materials etc. Door instead of a window etc.

Play around with it and keep asking questions!

Were you from, do you draw in millimeters or inches?

//Tobias

I use Centimeter dimensions;

Regarding the Curtain Walls, this looks like a good solution; Please explain how it can be done transparent and with a round shape.

Thanks.

Create a poly line arc, right click on the curtain wall tool and select "apply tool properties to" and then ""referenced base curve"

Select your line. This will create a curtain wall in the shape of your line.

Now, change the height and width of the curtain wall to what you need.

You are going to have to do quite a bit of reading on the Curtain wall design, it is extremely complicated, too complicated to post how to create the design in a forum without typing out a small book lol.

once you get the style to look the way you wish it to. You will then move it on top of the wall, create a mass element in the same shape as the curtain wall and apply it to the wall as a negative body modifier to cut the hole. Anchor the curtain wall by an object anchor and there you have it. Autocad Architecture and Revit try to follow industry standard items. A curved window would be a custom produced item, therefore it is not included as a default size. Windows in just about every curved wall is going to be a straight window. your wall has an extreme radius, thus would require several smaller windows of the straight kind to run the length

Thanks Noahma for explaining,

However i wouldn´t say it is extremely complicated, a lot of steps to get it right, but not more complicated then changing a complex window. Easy for me to say, because i have done it alot of times. But to explain everything in detail, as Noahma said would be small book, but 3-4 steps is ok, so here we go.

First step as Noahma said is the easiest way to create the arc wall.

"Create a poly line arc, right click on the curtain wall tool and select "apply tool properties to" and then ""referenced base curve"

Select your line. This will create a curtain wall in the shape of your line."

Step 2. Select the wall and right click and choose Edit curtain wall, then Design Rules, element Definition, Divisions. Here you control Horizontal and vertical divisions.

Step 3. Size of frame and mullion. Elemement definitions, Frames. Change with and depth.

Step 4. Materials. Her you control the materials on different parts, Frame, mullion, infill etc.

There is alot more that you can do, but try these steps first !

//Tobias

Thanks all for your explanations. I managed to create a curved curtain wall. Is there a way to display a curtain wall with a transparent infill?

I would also like if possible to create a 2 meter width door in this wall - is it ppossible? looke like the width door is limitted to the size of the mullions, is it right?

Thanks Noahma for explaining,

However i wouldn´t say it is extremely complicated, a lot of steps to get it right, but not more complicated then changing a complex window. Easy for me to say, because i have done it alot of times. But to explain everything in detail, as Noahma said would be small book, but 3-4 steps is ok, so here we go.

First step as Noahma said is the easiest way to create the arc wall.

"Create a poly line arc, right click on the curtain wall tool and select "apply tool properties to" and then ""referenced base curve"

Select your line. This will create a curtain wall in the shape of your line."

Step 2. Select the wall and right click and choose Edit curtain wall, then Design Rules, element Definition, Divisions. Here you control Horizontal and vertical divisions.

Step 3. Size of frame and mullion. Elemement definitions, Frames. Change with and depth.

Step 4. Materials. Her you control the materials on different parts, Frame, mullion, infill etc.

There is alot more that you can do, but try these steps first !

//Tobias

I might have over exaggerated a bit lol. For someone that has never touched the tool, it can be a bit overwhelming. They are quite easy once you learn the intricacy within the tool.

Yep you are correct, any style you have set as an infill will be restricted to the width. Set your material for the infill to a glass material, and you are set.

Door in curtainwall.jpg

Hello again!

Of course you can create a door in the wall with different width then the other infills. But it will take a while to explain, and with a 2 meter door in your wall, you will get the same result as with your window. It will be straight over your arc, it doesn´t make the door curved.

Anyway here are the steps, it will be a long post!: (picture of steps will follow)

Step 1. Create a door style that you want.

Step 2. Assign door style to curtain wall style (create an infill with the door style)

Step 3. Turn on markers for infill. select wall , right click, then Infill and show markers.

Step 4. Split one cell into two cells. Command GridAssemblyEditGrid, C for cell, choose your cell to subdivide. Click Button new division, then create with fixed numer of cells or manual to get the right measurements.

Step 5. Maybe you will have to do this on more cells, to fit your 2 meter door.

Step 6. Merge cells. command GridAssemblyMergeCells, selct cell A and B, redo untill you have your big cell that fits your door.

Step 7. Change infill. select wall , right click, then Infill and override assignment

select infill and change to your new infill with the door style.

Thats it!

Regarding transparent infill, I have a material called Glass wich works fine for me.

Thanks again for your support,

One comment regarding the "Assign door style to curtain wall style" - looks like a simple creation of a door for the curtain wall (using the design menu) will give same result - anyway, this is OK.

I could not perfom the cell division; after using the GridAssemblyEditGrid command and clicking "C", I clicked on one of the cells - I did not find the "new division" Button...

Thanks Ringis,

I managed to use both commands (merge abd split) - In one of the commands I had to use a 2D display and not 3D.

I just could not use the glass/transparent material - I wonder if this is possible with 2008. I have one glass-clear material - it creates a blue shine display of the wall but it is not transparent.

Anyway, Tobias, thanks for your patience and detail explanations. I hope you will have a worm and quiet winter this year.

Glad to help, altough my english is not so good, but it´s getting better.

Regarding transparent material, not sure if the materials follow the dwg file or if I have to do an E-transmit. Anyway it exeeds the limit of 250 kb, I can email if you want to.

The material that i use called "fonsterglas" has these settings in materials (se attached picture)

Merry Christmas!

/Tobias

Material glas.jpg

I will appreciate if can explain how the material screen can be used/updated and how this material can be assigned to a wall or to an existing material in the Material- tool-palettes.

I understnad that if the opal parameter is set to sero then the material is completely transparent.

By the way, do you know if Revit uses same principals as Autodesk 3D?

my email is: zionshea@gmail.com