Polyline is an extruded Surface

AutoCutter

Hi guys,

I have the problem that autocad extrudes the polylines I create automatically.

for example if I draw (with the polyline tool) a triangle in the front view. it seems to be a 2d polyline, but when I change to the top view I can actually see that it's extruded into the z space 5 centimeters???

is this the normal behaviour of autocad, when drawing a 2d polyline, or do I have a weird option activated.

I know this is a very basic questions, but I started using it 2 days ago...

thx for ur help!

no I don't. but I have the feeling that there's something like ELEVATION or EXTRUSION which is applied to the shapes. the extrusion is always 5 centimeter.

here's a screenshot of a triangle I've drawn. -> nothing added afterwards. I closed the polyline by pressing the "c" key!

triangle.jpg

Type the word THICKNESS at the command line. Press ENTER. What is the default value shown between the symbols? If it is anything other than "0" type in "0" and press ENTER. Redraw your lines.

Re: ELEVATION.

Refers to the height off the drawing plane. Normally AutoCAD will draw everything at a "Z" elevation of 0. Draw a line and either check its Properties or do a List on it. What is "Z"? It should be "0".

Hey ReMark,

you are right. in the THICKNESS command the default value was "5". I changed it to "0" - now it works correct. Thx for the hint!!!!! Awesome.

but in my point of view there's no logic why autocad should act like it does...

"but in my point of view there's no logic why autocad should act like it does..."

First...What are you referring to by the above statement?

Second...You're welcomed.

isn't that what I suggested?

Yes Dave that is exactly what you had suggested. But the OP admitted he was a real novice at AutoCAD (started 2 days ago) so I took that as a sign he wasn't familiar with "how" thickness was set. Beats me how it got set to "5" in the first place unless he was fooling around trying to create a 3D drawing.

First...What are you referring to by the above statement?

I'm refering to Autodesk. I was just wondering why Autocad uses THICKNESS on a drawn polyline without asking for it.

that's it. I didn't intend to offend you.

but thx, the both of you, for your help! :)

Honestly, I do not know why. Since I got used to working with solids I've never had the urge to use the command. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself can provide us both with a good reason.

From AutoCAD Help file:

Thickness

Use the thickness property to give objects a 3D appearance.

Note however the object is still considered to be 2D.