Creating a model of the terrain

Tyke

abgailpp, please don't do multiple posts in different forums. I've already answered you question in another forum.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tyke

• shift1313

• bhamze

• tonka

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a survey of an area that I need to get into SolidWorks so that a model of the area can be made of it.

I have contours as polylines or points with X,Y,Z coordinates and I can create a surface or a collection of 3D faces. I can also create a 3D solid and export it from AutoCAD Civil 3D in STL format.

Does anybody have any idea how I can best get my data into SolidWorks so that it can worked up into a model?

I do not have SolidWorks, I must just give my data on to someone who does have SolidWorks, so that he can do something with it. I'm a pure AutoCAD/MAP/Civil man.

Hi!

I´m having problem with creating stl file from surface. I need to import stl in another program for rockfalls.

I have create surface from contours, then extract faces, extrude them, union and I got solid..

I have export solid like stl file...

But in another program my surface is not smooth, like something went wrong while exporting stl, because in autocad civil 3D 2012 everything looks good.

I have found out how I can increase facetres to 10, but It has not affect to my stl file.

If there is some another parameter for better resolution of stl files?

Thanks for help!

Hi!

I´m having problem with creating stl file from surface. I need to import stl in another program for rockfalls.

I have create surface from contours, then extract faces, extrude them, union and I got solid..

I have export solid like stl file...

But in another program my surface is not smooth, like something went wrong while exporting stl, because in autocad civil 3D 2012 everything looks good.

I have found out how I can increase facetres to 10, but It has not affect to my stl file.

If there is some another parameter for better resolution of stl files?

Thanks for help!

When you do Save-As with solidworks and change the file type to .stl an options button will become available. Click options and you will have a few options for the resolution. You can pick Course of Fine or Custom. Depending on how large the file is you will have to be careful. For smaller parts with high levels of detail I will change the angle to 1degree. For larger parts like a car i might need to use 3 or 4 degrees.

Thank You for your reply!

I am really need help.

I am working in AutoCad Civil 3d 2012 and there is not that options button. So I think I need change some other options except facetres..I also try to incrase SPLINESEGS, ISOLINES, VIEWRES, but that did not change resolution of exported stl file.

Do You know some others properties?