"LOFT" feature does not seems creating correctly!!!

CAnnondale

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with "LOFT" feature. I was trying to create a weldment eye nut (see attach .ipt).

When I invoke LOFT into multiple sketch, it does not seems creating a perfect curve as I expected that it will follow the sketch curves.

Am I doing it correctly? If, not how do I do it then?

Thanks in advance, appreciate it.

M30 Weldless Eye Nut.zip

Hi,

Loft is working quite correctly, you had got one of the profiles in the wrong place (at the start of the curve - it was not on the tangent points), and what you were actually asking the software to do is impossible.

I have taken your model and simplified the sketches somewhat - you only need to create a sketch of half of what you were trying to loft, and then mirror it to create the rest. In effect you were making work for yourself.

Please note as you replay the model. that I have used a guide rail running down the centre line of the profiles, then two seperate lofts, a "move face" (an extremely powerful and useful tool) and mirrored everything I have just created to produce what I think is close to your goal?

N.B.- I am not 100% happy with it, but to improve it would mean adjusting the transition profiles to get a smoother run.

I know that if JD sees this he is going to frown as I have not applied any dimensional constraints to the sketch :wink:. I will leave that to you.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

nut.png

M30 Weldless Eye Nut_drh.zip

Edited by Hopinc

Hi again,

Just had a few seconds spare and revisited your file. Whilst I was working on another project :) it occured to me that you had created the screw thread by revolving a cut and then applying the thread.

A much better way of doing this is to use the "hole" generator - I just created a sketched point on the bottom surface and selected an M30 threaded hole to be created on that point. Try this out and view all the options available to you. It can be used for applying several holes at one go.

I also adjusted the tangency of the second loft where it meets the first and checked this with a "zebra pattern" - this is a good way of viewing curved surrfaces for unexpected deviations, and can be turned on and off (look at the top of the history tree of the newly attached file).

Regards,

Dave

zebra stripes.jpg

File2.zip

Edited by Hopinc

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking a look at it. Once im in the office i will have to look at it immediately. appreciate all your feedbacks.

Hi again,

Just had a few seconds spare and revisited your file. Whilst I was working on another project :) it occured to me that you had created the screw thread by revolving a cut and then applying the thread.

A much better way of doing this is to use the "hole" generator - I just created a sketched point on the bottom surface and selected an M30 threaded hole to be created on that point. Try this out and view all the options available to you. It can be used for applying several holes at one go.

I also adjusted the tangency of the second loft where it meets the first and checked this with a "zebra pattern" - this is a good way of viewing curved surrfaces for unexpected deviations, and can be turned on and off (look at the top of the history tree of the newly attched file).

Regards,

Dave

Hi again,

I also adjusted the tangency of the second loft where it meets the first and checked this with a "zebra pattern" - this is a good way of viewing curved surrfaces for unexpected deviations, and can be turned on and off (look at the top of the history tree of the newly attched file).

Regards,

Dave

WOW... Thanks Dave...These is an additional knowledge to us less experienced in Inventor. u rock:D:thumbsup: