Convert Traffic cone to sheet metal part

Dingo0z

I draw the profile of a traffic cone & then revolve it 359 degrees. I then try to "insert bends" to convert it to sheet metal. I keep getting error messages when it tries to insert bends saying "no bends found". I've tried selecting not just the profile edge, but every edge possible & I keep getting errors. I have attached the file I'm working with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

-Dan

SM traffic cone.zip

I don't have time to try this right now, but how about a lofted flange between two circles and a rip, or a lofted flange between two 359° arcs. If that works it should be sheetmetal by default.

@shift1313

There is supposed to be a flange on the edge of that cone, thats the difficult part I'm trying to figure out. I appreciate your time & sample file though.

-Dan

@shift1313

There is supposed to be a flange on the edge of that cone...

Ahh, you need Autodesk Inventor for that.

(I should add that the Inventor flat pattern doesn't look right to me.)

Contour Roll.jpg

Edited by JD Mather

@shift1313

There is supposed to be a flange on the edge of that cone, thats the difficult part I'm trying to figure out. I appreciate your time & sample file though.

-Dan

Dan, i dont think it will work because the flanged edge of the cone needs to be stretched around the cone rather than just bent. I dont think there is a way(in SW) to do that. Or at least I havent found it yet.

I agree........I don't think this could be done the way you expect in SW. You can however add reliefs/bends to cone section allowing it to flatten. See attached pictures. The result may be undesirable but I don't know of any other way. I plan on posting this issue on another forum, maybe someone can provide a different solution. I will keep you posted.

Flat_Cone.jpg

Cone.jpg