project chainage of polyline on a straight line

motee-z

hello to all

i need help how to transfer length of arc and straight line, the segment of polyline to a horizental line the length of this line is same length of polyline

thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pBe

• ReMark

• motee-z

• alanjt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mean if you have polyline with a length of 175.2 you'll get a straight horizontal line with the same length?

are you talking about creating a new polyline? or the the same one converted to a straight polyline?

if the latter, will it keep the same inserftion point (the first point) of the the polyline?

if not will you be prompted for the new insertion point?

questions.. questions.. How would the world get by without questions.... :)

just teasing motee-z :lol:

but providing answers to these quesitons will give us a better idea of what exactly you wanted as the end result

You mean if you have polyline with a length of 175.2 you'll get a straight horizontal line with the same length?

are you talking about creating a new polyline? or the the same one converted to a straight polyline?

if the latter, will it keep the same inserftion point (the first point) of the the polyline?

if not will you be prompted for the new insertion point?

questions.. questions.. How would the world get by without questions.... :)

just teasing motee-z :lol:

but providing answers to these quesitons will give us a better idea of what exactly you wanted as the end result

I entirely do agree you pBe.

Michaels

thank you for interest

what i mean i have a polyline consist of arcs and lines which form horizental axis of road

in the profile i have to mark chainage of arcs begining and end on another line this line is straight and

i wish i am clear sorry for my language

It sounds like you want to take the centerline stationing of the road, and thus its length, and reflect this in your profile. The road itself may have a curve in it when viewed in plan but the line will be straightened out, so to speak, when it is drawn in profile. Does that sound correct to everyone?

It sounds like you want to take the centerline stationing of the road, and thus its length, and reflect this in your profile. The road itself may have a curve in it when viewed in plan but the line will be straightened out, so to speak, when it is drawn in profile. Does that sound correct to everyone?

Sounds right to me. a developed elevation/section, but are we talking about the lines showing on the plans or section? only thing that bothers me is the arc length (if shown in plan view). if converted to straight lines how many segments would it be, i cant assume it would be form start point to end point if its shown on one long curve? :unsure: I'm not CE so i'm not really sure :)

Perhaps you (pBe) would need some sort of civil/surveying background to understand. The OP wants to take what he sees in plan view and turn it into a longitudinal section, curves and all. Since the centerline of the road is "stationed" this can be easily done.

Perhaps you (pBe) would need some sort of civil/surveying background to understand. The OP wants to take what he sees in plan view and turn it into a longitudinal section, curves and all. Since the centerline of the road is "stationed" this can be easily done.

perhaps you're right... well, i did say developed elevation. :) just need clarification thats all..

Thanks for the info ReMark :D

Question for you ReMark.

Based on the description of the OP and the info you showed us.

1. These "Polylines" have different Z values? (for elevation difference) so its not a pollyline but a 3dplolyline?

2. if the value for elevations will not be derived from the polyline itself will it be will be taken from somewhere else like Text or attribute Block? (stations)

I apologize for my little knowledge of Civl stuff. :)

Elevations will be taken from a field survey notebook or downloaded via a total station (a high tech survey instrument). With the right software I suppose it is even possible for the plan portion of the drawing to be done in 3D thus the elevations used in the profile below could be generated directly which would be very handy and I imagine quite accurate. I did all my plan and profile work the old fashion way...transit, field survey notebook, and manual drafting (ink on mylar). Things are so much easier now.

okeedokee Thanks ReMark

Now going back to OP's request...

In your drawing (specifically your source polyline) does it have the sufficient info to make a profile? or will it be taken from another source (e.g. TEXT. Attribute Block)?

if you can give us more info that would help a lot.

It would help if the OP told us what software he is working with too. What's the big secret here anyway?

It amazes me how people expect mountains of returned information when they provide a single grain of sand.

[ATTACH]24812[/ATTACH]

sorry for delay there is a problem in my modem

So I see... its not profile after all... but a developed view (true length)... hmmmn I'll give it a try :)