3dworld

Hi,

I don’t know if anyone else has had this problems too. But here goes:

3ds max 2010 and 2011 both stops responding or starts to lag a lot whenever I press the play button in the animation controls. I have downloaded the latest service packs and hotfixes and still no use. Even the area don’t show anything regarding this problem ( at least I could not find ). I have 2 pc, a desktop with core i7 processor and 8 GB DDR3 RAM and 1 GB Nvidia GTS 250 and another one is a laptop with core i7 processor, 4 GB DDR3 RAM and a 512 MB ATI Radeon 4570. I have the same problem in both machines and with both 3ds max 2010 and 2011. Do you know how to fix this? By the way I always use 64 bit softwares but for these 2 I tried both 32bit and 64bit. With no luck.

The other problem I have is with 3ds max 2009 which I love so much. While working, after every hour on half an hour or so, max stops responding for about 10 seconds. After that it gets well again. But this really is very frustrating to work with. Even after every 10 minutes this may occur. It doesn’t matter what I am doing in the viewport. It always has to do that. Do you know any solutions for this?

Thanks in advance.

I don't really know what's happening with your animation playback. Does this happen in all files or just this one?

Your system specs sound ok, so maybe it's a problem with your scene file? Maybe you have some bad geometry or maybe your scene is just too heavy? What is the total poly count?

For your Max 2009 problem, I would suggest keeping your task manager open while you're working so that you can check what processes are running when Max stops responding. It could be your anti-virus software is scanning your system or maybe you have some spyware on your computer. When is the last time you scanned your system for malicious software? It might also be a good idea to defrag your computer.

• 7 months later...

can you give us the scene statistics when

-- polygon count press 7 on the top numbers of the keyboard for this

-- object count. ctrl+A and the object count will be displayed at the lower bottom left

theres no issue or other process causing the slow down, even in professional scenes created by big animation companys, there is always a performance limit. i can guess that your scene is around 800k+ polygons and well its tough for a graphics card to handle all that.

i can guess that your in the shaded viewport, and if you switch to wire frame your system will not slow down as much. but wireframe is useless if you want to get a general idea of whats going on in your scene.

performance limiters----

multiple particle systems running simultaneously

multiple high polygon models interacting.

solutions----

hide unnecessary objects.

apply modifiers to reduce the polygon count

----

1st note----

malicious software "tends" to not decrease performance

malicious software is designed more towards being a nuisance by not allowing certain things to be done

depending of the type of "malicious software" your computer will not boot.

2nd note---

--

newer antivirus software releases refrain from scanning during times in which the computer is in use. antivirus now tends to do silent scans when your computer has been under low cpu usage so i would not expect antivirus software to be scanning. and i will also state that he probably does not have an old antivirus software version if he has core i7 processors and a 2011 release of 3ds max.

3rd note---

degragment??

wow.... defragging a machine tends to not give a computer a huge boost, in more details if his computer is lagging as bad as he is describing, a hard drive defrag will not give him the performance boost he is looking for. it will only reduce read/ access time to the hard drive which is not much of an issue because max runs more off the Random access memory than it runs of the hard drive. it will decrease the time it takes max to start up but not more than 5 seconds probably.

4th note---

----

navigating a scene is more of a GPU job than it is a processor job.

5th note--

---

i know this thread is old

6th note--

----

the user has not visited the forum in a loooong time and probably will not.

3rd note---

degragment??

wow.... defragging a machine tends to not give a computer a huge boost, in more details if his computer is lagging as bad as he is describing, a hard drive defrag will not give him the performance boost he is looking for. it will only reduce read/ access time to the hard drive which is not much of an issue because max runs more off the Random access memory than it runs of the hard drive. it will decrease the time it takes max to start up but not more than 5 seconds probably.

Well, you're the expert, I just work here. :roll: