trying to select any single object from within the whole

stenews

Hi guys,

what I'm trying to do is to "select" any single figure from within the whole drown.

I mean, I need to make an explode procedure of all the geometric figure, making part of the whole drown.

I attached the project ad I hope that some of you would point me in the right way to solve my question

Thanks,

Stefano.

caruscino.dwg

Edited by stenews

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to get the shapes of the paving stones. If this is so, then use the command Boundary.

To use this command, only the proper lines must show on the drawing. You have to freeze all other layers, so you must make a few more layers. There is a dashed line 2cm in from the outside edge, but it is also on layer 0. Change this to another layer, and freeze it, then boundary will work perfectly.

Paver.jpg

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to get the shapes of the paving stones.

That's right, you get the point! :)

You have to freeze all other layers
Do you mean to hide them?

What's the basic difference between to freeze them and turn off?

Thank you very much indeed!

you saved me!! :shock: it works great!!

Ever since I started using AutoCAD, I have turned layers off (hiding them) by freezing them. You can also turn a layer off. But when typing commands, to freeze a layer you just type F, but for turning a layer off, you have to type OFF. Just my way of doing things :D

sorry mate but I really need to ask you my very last question.

I should be able to measure the maximum perimeter of each piece, like if each one of them would be inscribed into a regular rectangular.

In other words, I'm thinking to inscribe each red blocks you picked out into a rectangular and so I can later measure its length?

I hope, I stated clearly my question to you,

Bye,

Stefano.

Edited by stenews

I am not sure whether there is a quick way, but I would copy each shape to another part of the drawing. Explode the polyline, and then rotate the shape until either the top chord or the bottom chord was horizontal. Then draw lines from the corners and the top quadrant point of the arc, and then see which shape was the smaller.

MinRectangle.jpg

Thanks for reply me

...Explode the polyline...

what do you mean for that?

...and then rotate the shape until either the top chord or the bottom chord was horizontal...

which chords are you talking about?

I'm sure that you get the point again :), but I'm still confused on how to start over.

Could you write down to me a "roughly" step by step procedure for doing that?

Thanks a lot again,

Stefano.

Ever since I started using AutoCAD, I have turned layers off (hiding them) by freezing them. You can also turn a layer off. But when typing commands, to freeze a layer you just type F, but for turning a layer off, you have to type OFF. Just my way of doing things :D
There are a few reasons to either do a Freeze or an Off. They're not exactly the same thing in all circumstances. The most notable difference is a block containing linework on other layers. If you turn off the layer on which the block was inserted on, the linework on those other layers will still show. If however you froze the layer on which the block's inserted - none of its linework would show (even if those layers are still thawed and on).

As for figuring out the minimum sized rectangle circumscribing the shape ... manually eldon's sample is your best bet. Only "automatic" way I can think of would be to use some custom programming.

Hi irneb,

thanks for you reply too

I see your explanation about layers and reading better eldon's post I even got the way he said.

Thanks both! :)