Blocks within drawing template come in at wrong size? All units are set to mm

spittle

I'm trying to insert an A3 template as new tab in paperspace.

No idea what the problem is. Units are all set to mm within drawing template, blocks within drawing template and also the drawing units for the drawing I'm trying to insert the template into.

I've tried inserting the template as... a template, a block and by copy/pasting into the drawing.

It keeps coming in 1000 times too big and when you select the inserted template block it says unitless so it appears AutoCAD is not remembering the units are set to mm.

The correct A3 page setup comes in, but all blocked entities are 1000 times too big, scaled from each block's insertion point.

I've tried setting all units to unitless and this also suffers the same problem.

Any ideas?

Inside your template file, BEdit one of these blocks. Open the properties palette (Ctrl+1) without selecting anything. Check what the block's Units is set there (usually 3rd from the bottom). Unfortunately each block has its own units - which do not necessarily match the current drawing's InsUnits.

Another possibility could be annotative scaling ... but that's a longshot as everything in PS "should" always be at 1:1 in any case.

None of the blocks are anotative, all units are set to mm.

I should have checked the template by inserting into a new drawings but have done this since - the title sheet inserts fine into a new drawing so this indicates that the problem is not necessarily with the template.

The drawing I'm trying to insert it into again has units set to mm, sheet one has an A1 title sheet - the one that the A3 one was derived from. Saying that, I've tried deleting the A1 title sheet and purging, so I don't think this is the culprit.

Is there a variable that can be set that ignores the insertion units? It appears that AutoCAD is ignoring the the mm units of the blocks, once the (oversized) blocks have been inserted (via new template tab), on inspecting the blocks' units, they say unitless. However in the template this is not the case.

The only vars pertaining to "disregard" units are the INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and INSUNITSDEFTARGET (available in the Options dialog - User Preferences tab). But they only come into play if either the block being inserted or the current drawing (respectively) is set to Unit-less.

After you've inserted the tab from the template, select one of these wrongly scaled blocks. What does it's properties show? In particular:

- Scale X, -Y & -Z

- Block Unit

- Unit Factor

When the new template is inserted, and on selection of any of the blocks that came in with the template, the properties are as per below:

Unitless

Unit Factor = 1

Scale x,y,x = 1

Annotative = No

This however does not reflect the properties of the same entities when they're selected on opening the dwt. In the dwt, they're all set to mm.

Solution:

-dwgunits

Our support/reseller was able to help me out.

That's an all-or-nothing quick fix. It turns off the automatic feature in totality (for the entire drawing). So if you now insert a block which was drawn in inches, you'll have to manually scale it by 25.4. Just be warned about this.

When the new template is inserted, and on selection of any of the blocks that came in with the template, the properties are as per below:

Unitless

Unit Factor = 1

Scale x,y,x = 1

Annotative = No

This however does not reflect the properties of the same entities when they're selected on opening the dwt. In the dwt, they're all set to mm.

The Unitless above tells me that the block is not done correctly. You state it comes in at 1000x too large. It was probably drawn in meters but its units weren't set as meters.

OR

What is your INSUNITSDEFSOURCE set to? I usually have mine set to Unitless ... to alleviate blocks which weren't drawn correctly - it's like turning off the auto-scaling feature only for these blocks. It's a bit less of an all-or-nothing approach. Also this is saved to registry, not per drawing but per PC.