Keyboard shortcut woes

ColinPearson

Hi all:

I think this is simple but can't find where to do it at. I need to know how to change the keystrokes required WITHIN a command, e.g., If I want to rotate something, pick the base point, hit "r" for reference, first point, second point, then the angle - How would I change what you need to type for an Osnap? Instead of "cen" for center, can I make "c" snap to center, "q" instead of "quad", etc.?

I know you can cycle through the snaps with Tab, but this would be a better solution for me personally.

I'm on 2010 and 2011, BTW. A colleague emailed me the following for 2007, but I can't find the analogue in 2010/11:

Tools

Customize

Keyboard

Categories

Object Snap Toolbar

Snap to Center = CEN

Assign to ......put what you want

Thanks in advance!

ReMark replied but it's not showing up here... I found a list of Shift+LetterKey combinations for Osnaps in the CUI>Keyboard Shortcuts>right hand panel of screen, but to be honest, I can't figure out what they do. I'm definitely interested in changing what you type within a command that is currently invoked.

THANKS ALL

You can't change the osnap overrides. CEN is CEN, it can't be changed.

The Shift+ ones are based on depressing both keys at the same time.

You can also hit the Ctrl/Shift+Right-Click and access the OSnap override menu (which can then be chosen by hitting the designated key for each - underlined).

eg. Ctrl+Right-Click returns the OSnap override menu, then typing "S" will give you the Insertion override.

I replied in error the first time so I took it down.

You need to take a look at what AutoCAD already has set up via the Temporary Override Keys not the Shortcut Keys in the CUI Editor. You'll notice there are temporary overrides for Endpoint, Center and Midpoint that require a two key combo. Example: For Center one would press SHIFT+C. For Endpoint one would press SHIFT+E or SHIFT+P. For Midpoint one would press SHIFT+M or SHIFT+V. There is no temporary override for quadrant listed.

I use the Gateway2000 Anykey keyboard - circa 1994. I have most of the left side additional F* keys programmed to be OSnap overrides and the others just a couple custom popup menus.

Gateway-ANYKEY-Keyboard.jpg

OK, that's pretty much what I'm looking for - do you know if it's possible to make these temporary overrides a single key instead of a two key thing?

You could use accelerator keys and set your F* keys to be something else.

You can do it through the CUI editor or load your own custom CUI/MNU. Here's a portion my of MNU file:

***MENUGROUP=AlanThompson

***TOOLBARS

***ACCELERATORS
["F1"]^C^CEXCHPROP
["F4"]'TG
["F5"]^C^CPEDIT _M 
["F6"]_M2P
["F7"]'MATH
[CONTROL+"Z"]'_zoom _p
[CONTROL+"A"]'as 

I think that about sums up what I needed to know - Temporary Overrides and a keyboard with some left side programmable keys - thanks guys!

No reflection on the OP or anyone else here for that matter but I find the whole topic of speeding things up in AutoCAD to be funny at times. Think of the time and effort we put into something like this to save 1/10th of a second. Then a coworker stops by to talk about last night's hockey, basketball, baseball, football, etc. game and we blow off 20 to 30 minutes recapping the action. Makes me laugh. I guess we need to do things quicker to make up for all the time we wasted not doing our work in the first place.

And ReMark - HA!!, you are more than correct on that one!! Incidentally, it's been fights in NFL this morning at my office. Anyway, that post cracked me up.

None at all, I appreciate your help. You posted back a couple times on my slow properties window, which, incidentally I am having something fixed on that laptop and didn't get to try your last suggestions, but I definitely appreciate your help. This forum has been a great resource so far.