Autosave crashes cad

loopfish

Hi there,

Everytime my autosave goes off it crashes my civil3d for about 5minutes. Another person in the office has had this issue and ended being able to fix but she can't remember how.

I've purged and audited as well as updated

Currently using Civil 3D 2009 with Update 3

Thanks for any help!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• loopfish

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• NH3man!

Turn Autosave off?

There's a difference between a "crash" and a "lockup". How does one crash a computer for 5 minutes? Did you mean to say lockup?

Your right it was a lockup. Turning autosave off is not an option in my mind. The problem has been fixed before, by the sounds of it its an issue with the drawing itself.

The autosave saves to my hard drive. The file itself is on our network.

From what I've read around the net people seem to issues with pathing of their autosaves?

Sorry for the lack of information, I'm usually out surveying not drafting :P. If there's anything else you need to know I'll be happy to try and figure it out for you.

I started out in surveying and transitioned to drafting then to CAD.

I'm not trying to badger you just trying to glean some more information. Think I'll just stop here for the moment. If you have further problems then pick up this thread where you left off.

My last thought. Perhaps the file is being corrupted because it is being written to a part of your hard drive or the network drive that may have bad sectors. I say that only because it seems to be a file-specific problem.

I'll maybe run a defrag tonight on this machine and talk to our IT guy about it.

I'm just heading back to school in January...one day I'll understand this CAD stuff...but for now give me my rain gear and my robotic total station.

Thanks for the help!

No luck on the defrag last night, I didn't have any of the file paths setup for my support files so I've done that and still lock up on saves/autosaves. The drawing has no XRefs, so can't take those out.

I'm stuck :/

Really...turn autosave off. Buy an egg timer and set it for 10 minutes or "get an app" for your phone that sounds an alarm every 10 minutes. It beats locking up the system.

Just the one drawing.

WBlock the contents out and put everything in a brand new drawing. Delete the old one and hope that kills the problem once and for all.

I tried to fix the drawing by Wblocking the drawing. The drawing won't turn into a block, i don't know if thats because of the 3D aspects or just that its too large. So I tried copying over just the plan view, not the profiles. That didn't work either. I can't really copy this over one piece at a time as its just too much too it. Anything else I could do?