+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Newbie
    Using
    not specified

Default Need Advice - Designing House Plans

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hey, Iím new to Cad and was just wondering what cad type program would be the best for making house plans?
    I am a builder, but I want to get into architecture design.
    As a builder the plans I get to build with from architects, are sometimes so shocking, and the designs are quite bad really. Also alot of things they design do not work practically.

So I am looking for the best program for this, I have tried standard AutoCAD before, but it didnít really seem like the type of program I wanted.
    It will be used for resisdential houses btw

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

When you say AutoCAD "didn't really seem like the type of program I wanted" just what were you referring too? I've used AutoCAD to do architectural drawings too. Once I assembled all my block libraries (windows, doors, kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures, etc.) the job became easier. If there's something you need many manufacturer's these days even provide, free of charge, online access to their AutoCAD block libraries (check out Anderson windows for example) for insertion into your drawing. The blocks can include plan, elevation and even sectional views. Select, download and insert. How easy is that? Maybe plain old AutoCAD is not "automatic" enough for you. Are you looking for something that is more intuitive or that will do most of the work for you? I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions here if you just stick around a bit. Good Luck. Let's us know what you decide and please share with us some insight into what influenced your decision. We can all benefit from the knowledge.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    f700es's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro (W)/Windows 10 (H)
    Computer:
    Dell Optiplex 9020 (W)/ Dell Inspiron 570 (H)
    Motherboard:
    Intel (W)/AMD (H)
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4770 quad (W)/AMD Athlon 2 X4 (H)
    RAM:
    16 GB DDR3 (W)/ 6GB DDR3 (H)
    Graphics:
    nVidia Geforce GTX 645 (W)/nVidia GF GT430 (H)
    Primary Storage:
    256 gb SSD 0/ 1TB 1 (W)/1 TB (H)
    Secondary Storage:
    Seagate FreeAgent Go 320gb
    Monitor:
    Samsung P2770HD 28" LCD and Samsung B2430 (W)/Acer 28" LCD (H)
    Discipline
    Facilities Mgmt
    f700es's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Space Database Admin
    Discipline
    Facilities Mgmt
    Details
    Archibus Management, Space planning, Design
    Using
    AutoCAD 2017

I would have to agree that "maybe" vanilla AutoCAD might not be the best package for you. I also believe that as a residential builder that Architectural Desktop might be WAY too much. Sure it will work but maybe not in the best way for you. We (the place I work for) are a residential design-build company and we have 4 people using ADT and I will be the 1st to admit that we use maybe 10% of the program. Now being familiar with Acad might be worth staying with say AutoCAD LT and perhaps trying an AEC add-on package. IIRC you can either order or download a 30 day demo of AutoCAD LT. Also you can download a 30 day demo of Drcauto's Smart Architect LT Pro - http://www.drcauto.com/products/smar...pro/index.html .
    Sure it's $1495 but still less than Vanilla AutoCAD and it is built for AEC drawings will vanilla Acad is really not.

Other option...
    SoftPlan - http://www.softplan.com/

there is another one but I can't think of it right now.
    Please do not PM me with CAD questions. Post your question on the forum. Our users are the best out there and you'll get the best possible answer to your question.

- http://f700es.deviantart.com/gallery/ -

Using
    Architecture 2009

Morning

What part of the world are you from, not that will make any difference, just interested.

If you want to go down the ACAD route, I would suggest you try the LT version, much lower cost and it will for a long time be more than sufficient for your needs.

As an experienced architectural technologist I'm sorry that you are getting such bad service from our side of the industry.

If you are in England please feel free to PM me for any help or advice.

Alastair
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." --Isaac Newton

ADT 2009

Forum Newbie
    Using
    not specified

^^Hi, im am from New Zealand.

I heard about a program called ArchiCAD, anyone familia with that? Apperantly its the program i want to be getting?

Using
    not specified

There is no best software for making house plan. Base on my experience, there are many types of software that can do house plan, but they work differently. There are Vectorworks, Archicad, Revit, AutoCAD, InteliCAD, DataCAD, Microstation, SoftCAD, Arris and etc.

My advice:
    1. Look for software support services in New Zealand. Typically you like to have local support instead of calling the HQ in US.
    2. Know the drawing format Architect & Engineer typically use. You always want Architect, Engineer & contractor to share same information and share the same digital format. Sometimes different CAD software can translate drawing differently and cause time & effort to correct it.
    3. See if there is training for the software. If there isn't a training center for a particular CAD software, it may not be beneficial to learn.
    4. Check the price. Not every CAD software cost the same. Some are expensive and will not be beneficial.

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Question looking for plans

hello im in ireland and only use autocad for simple agricultural shed designs to date i want to design a house is there anywhere on the net that i can download house plans and maybe just change them a bit to suit myself

Using
    Revit 2009

Quote Originally Posted by athlone View Post
    hello im in ireland and only use autocad for simple agricultural shed designs to date i want to design a house is there anywhere on the net that i can download house plans and maybe just change them a bit to suit myself

tbh it would be easier in the long run to draw it from scratch, but saying that there are various resources on ebay etc that provide house plans.
    10100.co.uk ONC/HNC Building Studies :: FCAD32 :: AutoCAD 2009 :: Revit 2009 :: Architectural Technician A.C.I.A.T ::

Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Get a CAD program you can afford and push it to its limits. If you know what it can and can't do, you will truly appreciate the more expensive packages.

It has been my experience that producing any CAD drawing has far more to do with the person behind the keyboard than the program itself. Having the latest and greatest software will not necessarily make you a better drafter / designer.

Computer Details
    SLW210's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
    Computer:
    IBM Lenovo
    Motherboard:
    ACPI x64
    CPU:
    Pentium(R) i5 4570 @ 3.2GHz
    RAM:
    8 GB RAM
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB
    Primary Storage:
    300 GB
    Secondary Storage:
    650GB
    Monitor:
    2x ThinkVision 24"
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    SLW210's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Draftsman
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Mostly do drafting related to manufacturing. From doing site layouts with proposed updates, additions and renovations to be budgeted and submitted for bid, to updating and changing existing drawings to reflect maintenance and repair/revision work done on site.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Go with AutoCAD. If you learn to use it you will be suprised at the capabilities. AutoCAD is very customizable.