Discipline
    Architectural
    Glen1980's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Technician - Residential
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    High Rise concrete frame. Low Rise traditional masonry construction Low Rise Timber Frame Conversion - Office, Schools & Colleges, Hospitals to residential flats/apartments.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2017

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I don't know if it is possible but maybe the system could only let you edit a certain number of articles a day after the initial set up period to stop mass sabotage.

As there are generally more than one way of doing certain actions what with differences between LT, Full, Revit etc. maybe articles could have different solutions so different authors could contribute to the same article rather than having arguments about who writes what or editing other peoples work.

i.e
    Strix says......
    ReMark says......

Of course it could be done anonymously like other wiki's but why be constrained by how others work! Hope this made sence and wasn't too rambling, not much sleep last night

Computer Details
    SLW210's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
    Computer:
    IBM Lenovo
    Motherboard:
    ACPI x64
    CPU:
    Pentium(R) i5 4570 @ 3.2GHz
    RAM:
    8 GB RAM
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB
    Primary Storage:
    300 GB
    Secondary Storage:
    650GB
    Monitor:
    2x ThinkVision 24"
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    SLW210's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Draftsman
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Mostly do drafting related to manufacturing. From doing site layouts with proposed updates, additions and renovations to be budgeted and submitted for bid, to updating and changing existing drawings to reflect maintenance and repair/revision work done on site.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Default No problem with Wiki

I see no reason not to do the Wiki, the initial question was "Does this site need a Wiki?" and the answer to that is NO it does not NEED a Wiki.

After some thought, I came to the conclusion that a Wiki might be fun.
    “A narrow mind and a fat head invariably come on the same person” Zig Zigler

Computer Details
    Tiger's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    Computer:
    HP EliteBook 8570w
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.60GHz
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
    Monitor:
    HP
    Discipline
    Civil
    Tiger's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Education /support
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Support/Education/Retail
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Strix View Post

What are the safeguards against disgruntled forum members/banned spammers wreaking havoc in the Wiki?
    I am not saying that there should be no safeguards, and I have not looking into how established wikis work enough to know exactly how the process is suppose to happen. But the point of a wiki is that anyone and everyone can contribute and change them. And everyone that reads the Wiki also have to be aware that that is the what it is. It can't function as a wiki if there are also too much limitaitons on what you can or can't do.
    MTJIGSTRING = BAZINGA

Forum Deity
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    But the point of a wiki is that anyone and everyone can contribute and change them.
    There are several ways of doing a lot of things in AutoCAD, so there is often no unique answer.

I don't think that a Wiki will work.

Using
    not applicable

You might be right Eldon - I'm struggling to see what it would do that the forum doesn't do, and how it could be reliable as a tool

The FAQ we have been able to release as complete have been very hard work to include all the necessary info, prune out excess noise, include illustrative diagrams, note differences in versions, and apply a standard of English that is non-ambiguous and instills the reader with the confidence the info wasn't thrown down off the cuff and possibly erroneously. What level of quality are we expecting the wiki to achieve?

Perhaps the FAQ area of the forum which is currently closed to non-FAQ team members should be moved to the community area so everybody can contribute, and the database editing team revised?
    Find your new best friend at Rain Rescue

If you are a good drafter, tech will help. If you are a bad drafter, nothing will help. - Jack_O'neill at CADTutor

Computer Details
    Lee Mac's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Lee Mac's Discipline Details
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Custom Programming / Software Customisation
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

I would argue that a Wiki would provide better quality of information than the FAQ due to the far greater number of minds constantly contributing and improving its content; furthermore the arguments against the need for a Wiki would surely apply equally well to the FAQ section.

To prevent opportunist vandalism I would think a post-count restriction would be quite effective - say, only users with greater than 100 posts (or some other number) can edit the Wiki (just as the other restrictions with regard to links/avatars apply to users with < 10 posts). This way the user would have to make some committment to the forum before editing the Wiki.

Lee
    Lee Mac ProgrammingTwitterExchange App StoreDropbox (500MB free)

With Mathematics there is the possibility of perfect rigour, so why settle for less?

Computer Details
    Tiger's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    Computer:
    HP EliteBook 8570w
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.60GHz
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
    Monitor:
    HP
    Discipline
    Civil
    Tiger's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Education /support
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Support/Education/Retail
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Quote Originally Posted by eldon View Post
    There are several ways of doing a lot of things in AutoCAD, so there is often no unique answer.

I don't think that a Wiki will work.
    Funny, that is exactly why I think a Wiki would work
    MTJIGSTRING = BAZINGA

Forum Deity
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

OK. What if a subject has diametrically opposed views of the way to do it? Does the Wiki article have editing all the time, all depending on who was last on line?

Is a funding in place to cater for the extra work? I am not sure that a wholly volunteer system could cope. You are nearer the driving seat, and if you can see the time is available for keeping control of the streams of information, then so be it.

Computer Details
    CADTutor's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Motherboard:
    Asus P7P55D-E PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-860
    RAM:
    4GB PC3-12800 C8 Corsair Dominator
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768 MB
    Primary Storage:
    Intel X25-M SSD 160GB
    Secondary Storage:
    Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
    Monitor:
    BenQ FP241W 24" Wide
    Discipline
    Education
    CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Mac View Post
    I would argue that a Wiki would provide better quality of information than the FAQ due to the far greater number of minds constantly contributing and improving its content; furthermore the arguments against the need for a Wiki would surely apply equally well to the FAQ section.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Mac View Post
    To prevent opportunist vandalism I would think a post-count restriction would be quite effective - say, only users with greater than 100 posts (or some other number) can edit the Wiki (just as the other restrictions with regard to links/avatars apply to users with < 10 posts). This way the user would have to make some committment to the forum before editing the Wiki.
    That's the sort of thing I had in mind - not a free-for-all but a community wiki created by the community.

Quote Originally Posted by eldon View Post
    OK. What if a subject has diametrically opposed views of the way to do it? Does the Wiki article have editing all the time, all depending on who was last on line?

Is a funding in place to cater for the extra work? I am not sure that a wholly volunteer system could cope. You are nearer the driving seat, and if you can see the time is available for keeping control of the streams of information, then so be it.
    Well, wikis work perfectly well on other sites and of course Wikipedia is entirely driven by volunteers AND is completely open (anyone can edit) and it seems to work OK.

Effectively, a wiki is just a receptacle where the content is created by users/members. The idea is that it is as free as possible from control by a single editor - it's based on consensus. I imagine that if there are circumstances where there is more than one solution, they both can be included so an entry might have Problem A with solutions 1, 2 and 3. Where's the problem?

None of this is inevitable, I'm just trying to plan a road-map for CADTutor into the future and wondering how it can be improved, made more useful and to channel the skills and contributions from our members.
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Forum Deity
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Perhaps you should have named this web site CADTutor Wiki in the first place.

I can't see how different the two are, and I was thinking about the inevitable increase in administration for what would be a doubling of the site. Still if you can do it, then more power to your elbow